1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can't believe how some schools.......

Discussion in 'Governors' started by mbee1, Mar 30, 2017.

1. mbee1

mbee1 New commenter

treat their staff. I'm new to this and a couple of other education forums but I've been a Governor in an LA Community Primary school for 16 years and was appointed chair last year. I have a daughter who is currently going through hell as an NQT and, after reading posts on here, not just NQTs but from experienced staff too, I'm disgusted with how hardworking and committed staff are treated by some Heads.

This is something I'm just not used to. In the 16 years in post and two Heads I'm now realising what a great school and staff team we have. It's not perfect by any means and there are one or two staff members who are starting to under perform but the Head has kept me up to speed with what is happening and what she has put in place. Don't get me wrong - I'm not getting involved, but she is of the opinion that I should be kept in the loop if, potentially, a problem arises in the future.

How do other Chairs get on with their Heads? I try to meet with her once every two weeks but that's not always possible because of my work commitments but, if we can't get together, we speak on the phone or she emails me for my thoughts on a matter or to advise me of something she'd like to do. As a school we're committed to a work/life balance but she'll often email me late at night and so I have to remind her about it.

From what my daughter has told me about her Head and her life as an NQT and from what I've read on here perhaps schools should have to appoint a Governor with staff responsibilities so they have somewhere to sound off?

2. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Established commenter

Absolutely not!
    A governor with staff responsibilities would just simply undermine the head. Governors should not be involved in the day to day running of the school. Members of staff should be directed to talk with the headteacher, with support if necessary if they are unable to do so alone.

I understand some teachers are not treated well by some heads but head teachers are humans too. Believe it or not some heads are bullied by governors and staff and it never seems to be taken seriously.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  3. mbee1

mbee1 New commenter

After 16 years as a Governor at the same school I'm still obviously green in that I can't imagine a HT being bullied by Governors! I'll perhaps read some more threads in the HT section and see what really goes on. Thanks

4. digoryvenn

It is great to read that you are a supportive chair.
    Everyone is of the same opinion as you that you can't imagine a HT being bullied by governors.
    It is happening to me and has been happening for the past two years. I am raising a formal grievance on Monday.

5. mbee1

mbee1 New commenter

You have my sympathy and support digoryvenn. I just can't believe it's happening. How green I am after 16 years a Governor.

6. digoryvenn

Thank you.

7. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Established commenter

Does that concern translate into a situation where a head prefers to not disclose something about staff that governors should know about ?As far as governance is concerned openness and transparency is a prerequisite for challenging appropriately - nothing to do with undermining anyone.

8. revstevew

revstevew New commenter

Surely that would be, in part, the role of the staff governor? To address the specific situation, could your daughter write to the Chair - anonymously - under the schools whistle-blowing policy? Is she a Union member? If she is an NQT is there someone within the LA that she could talk to on one of her training days?