1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can't bear to stay any longer

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by tara196, Sep 27, 2015.

1. tara196

tara196 New commenter

Hi all,

I have come to a point where I don't know where to turn.

I had my appraisal and the result was to not progress even though the targets were very difficult and I have been very honest with my data.

I really want to resign and find somewhere else but I am worried that I will have a tarnished reference as a result of last years outcome.
    It was only my SEN children who didn't meet expected progress.

I feel very trapped as a bad reference could ruin any hopes of moving onwards/upwards and I have had a very positive experience so far with this school... Until my appraisal.

where to go next ??

Any advice?

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

What stage in your career are you at? I would suggest looking into how appropriate the targets for your SEN pupils are. Do they take their needs into account?

3. stmha

stmha Established commenter

You must also have had an appraisal last year. A reference wont just reflect a single years work and targets are just one aspect of appraising a teachers profile.

When you set targets make sure they are achievable. Your line manager should have taken responsibility for that and so must accept that any review of the targets should be adjusted. If these people are reasonable they will understand, so explain that you would like to revisit the appraisal.

A reference is unlikely to contain information about missed targets unless you have been told otherwise.

Good luck and talk to your colleagues.