1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cannot seem to get primary school work exp.

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by shoobidoo, Mar 19, 2012.

1. shoobidoo

shoobidoo New commenter

Hello everyone,
    I am new to this forum so please bare with me.
    I am 23 years of age, and graduated in 2006. I had obtained a 2:1 in law, took a year out contemplating what i wanted to do as a career. Teaching had always been an option but i never persued it and instead opted to do the Legal Practice Course instead which i have just completed in 2010.
    However I have now decided that i no longer want to go down the legal route. I am now considering becoming a primary teacher and applying for a PGCE this spetember, yet my problem is that i cannot seem to get any work experience in a primary school. I have called a couple of primary schools in my local area and have been told by the admin staff that they do not have any voluntary work palcements. Failing this, i resorted to sending letters to primary schools in my local area addressed to the head teacher, but still have not heard anything.
    I am also sending my CV with the letter, I was thinking this may be my downfall given that it is predominantly legal (Law degree, legal realted work exprience, etc). maybe the headteachers think that i am notserious eneough i dont know its just a thought. Should i just send the letter and not the CV. The only experience that i do have is that i help my little sister with her homework on a daily basis, but how would i convey this?
    I was wondering if you could please give me some advice or tell me what i am doing wrong. This is the letter that i am sending to local schools in my area:
    '' <font face="Calibri">Dear (Name of headteacher),
    </font>
    e. I come from a predominantly Legal background having obtained an Upper Second Class degree in Law. However, the role of a teacher is one that I am greatly interested in and would like to gain further knowledge and experience into what this position entails, and was wondering if was possible to undertake a 2-3 week work placement at (X Primary School.)
    I will be applying for my PGCE this September and seek to gain first-hand experience and awareness of the classroom environment in preparation for the course. It would be a great enhancement to my knowledge and understanding of education if you were to permit me to observe a class at any level.

I have attached my Curriculum Vitae for your consideration. I would be willing to come in for a visit, prior to commencing any work placement and look forward to discussing this opportunity with you further. I have work, academic and personal references available on request.

Yours sincerely, <font face="Calibri"> </font> X ''

2. shoobidoo

shoobidoo New commenter

Hello everyone,
    I am new to this forum so please bare with me.
    I am 23 years of age, and graduated in 2006. I had obtained a 2:1 in law, took a year out contemplating what i wanted to do as a career. Teaching had always been an option but i never persued it and instead opted to do the Legal Practice Course instead which i have just completed in 2010.
    However I have now decided that i no longer want to go down the legal route. I am now considering becoming a primary teacher and applying for a PGCE this spetember, yet my problem is that i cannot seem to get any work experience in a primary school. I have called a couple of primary schools in my local area and have been told by the admin staff that they do not have any voluntary work palcements. Failing this, i resorted to sending letters to primary schools in my local area addressed to the head teacher, but still have not heard anything.
    I am also sending my CV with the letter, I was thinking this may be my downfall given that it is predominantly legal (Law degree, legal realted work exprience, etc). maybe the headteachers think that i am notserious eneough i dont know its just a thought. Should i just send the letter and not the CV. The only experience that i do have is that i help my little sister with her homework on a daily basis, but how would i convey this?
    I was wondering if you could please give me some advice or tell me what i am doing wrong. This is the letter that i am sending to local schools in my area:
    '' <font face="Calibri">Dear (Name of headteacher),
    </font>
    e. I come from a predominantly Legal background having obtained an Upper Second Class degree in Law. However, the role of a teacher is one that I am greatly interested in and would like to gain further knowledge and experience into what this position entails, and was wondering if was possible to undertake a 2-3 week work placement at (X Primary School.)
    I will be applying for my PGCE this September and seek to gain first-hand experience and awareness of the classroom environment in preparation for the course. It would be a great enhancement to my knowledge and understanding of education if you were to permit me to observe a class at any level.

I have attached my Curriculum Vitae for your consideration. I would be willing to come in for a visit, prior to commencing any work placement and look forward to discussing this opportunity with you further. I have work, academic and personal references available on request.

Yours sincerely, <font face="Calibri"> </font> X ''

3. Hi
    Sorry to see that you have so far been unsuccessful in gaining voluntary experience in primary schools. Remember that schools and head teachers are extremely busy and may not always have the time to read through CVs. Rather than trying to contact the headteacher, you may be more successful in speaking to primary heads of year or departments - it is a good idea to find a name to address your request to.
    It may also help to offer to help in the classroom rather than observing so that you are giving your time to help them as well as gaining valuable experience.
    Voluntary school placements are sometimes advertised in the local press or library. You could also browse your local authority's website. You can also try
    Time Bank www.timebank.org.uk; Vinvolved www.vinspired.com
    Good luck with gaining experience and I wish you success for the future.
    Stephen Hillier, TDA