1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cannot handle the PGCE anymore

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by tennysonmash, Mar 12, 2012.

1. I have just finished my first placement where I scraped a pass. However, it has taken a massive toll on me and for the last 8 weeks I have regularly been sick after eating and have struggled to sleep, I cannot go on like this.

I am planning on leaving the course but would like to temporarily withdraw as I feel if I could get professional help with these stress issues then I could return and make a much better fist of the final placement. Is there anyway this could happen?

If not then I am just going to withdraw.

2. I have just finished my first placement where I scraped a pass. However, it has taken a massive toll on me and for the last 8 weeks I have regularly been sick after eating and have struggled to sleep, I cannot go on like this.

I am planning on leaving the course but would like to temporarily withdraw as I feel if I could get professional help with these stress issues then I could return and make a much better fist of the final placement. Is there anyway this could happen?

If not then I am just going to withdraw.

3. kazzmaniandevil

kazzmaniandevil New commenter

First things first speak to the Uni, if they are unaware of your struggles how can they help!

Don't give up x

4. Go speak to your doctor I used to be that same way and it turned into very serious depression you dont want to go down that way!
    Contact the University and tell them you are having a hard time see if you can get some extra support.
    Dont give up! You have got this far and thats amazing! Just take it one day at a time and it will be over before you know it. Is there anything else in your life you can let slide for a few months while you sort it out?

Good luck! x

5. bonkers 704

bonkers 704 Lead commenter

I have every sympathy with you. However, it is important that you listen to what your mind and body are telling you. Teaching is appallingly, incredibly stressful and it is not for everyone. Start thinking about alternatives now. If it is like this now, do you really want a whole career of this?
    I would suggest something like Mental Health Nursing - it is a growth area - there are already nearly a million people in this country with dementia alone, and your own experiences may help you greatly in understanding mental trauma and the reasons for it.

6. Hi, Not sure that I can offer any words of support other than, you are not alone in feeling this way. Everyday I think about quitting but somehow cannot muster up the courage to actually do it. I start final placement of a PGCE primary after Easter and am dreading it. Keep thinking I shouldn't feel this way. I think your Uni will encourage you to stay the course and friends and family probably keep saying "you've come this far etc, etc" Well meant words but they are not the ones living it. I'm struggling with an assignment to be handed in but trying to complete it but think the first couple of weeks on the next placement will be make or break.
    Not sure about the recommendation to become a mental health nurse, it's really stressfull too (I used to work with adults with severe mental health problems) I would just concentrate on being kind to yourself, eat well, rest and try and get some fresh air - long walks. (it really does help if you can motivate yourself) above all remember it's NOT you, it's the unrelenting demands of the course. There is another post on here about quitting PGCE with some reassuring posts .Imagine the advice you would give to your best friend if they were in your position - then take that advice yourself.

7. Notwithstanding

Notwithstanding New commenter

As somebody who left a PGCE this year, I can confirm that you can indeed 'suspend study', which I believe is also called intercollating.
    Anyway, I was beginning to observe some of the symptoms you speak of, so I highly recommend you go to the doctors, get a diagnosis and some kind of proof of that diagnosis, then with your univesity course leader, discuss the best course of action.
    If you have completed all of the university stuff up to now, you simply pay fee's pro rata to now, and likely either complete TP2 in september, or is you wanted more time to properly tackle the issues, then resume the same time as next year. You wouldn't even have to go to uni, but just start TP2 this term next year, and you would have all of your coursemates from this year to call on who have done the whole thing. You never know, you could try and get in a school where one of them is.
    I would also recommend to you, if you choose to suspend study but do want to still finish and be a teacher, either sign up as an instructor with an agency to get some here-and-there supply work (when you feel up to it, of course) and even better, a cover supervisor job. You are well qualified for those positions, considering someone with much less experience can get them jobs, and you have done the vast majority of the uni stuff.
    So, most importantly, look after yourself, it is the only way you can be in the best position to help others, i.e your pupils. You are doing yourself a disservice to think that suffering through is somehow the best option. You aren't letting anyone down, and by getting to this checkpoint, you would be able to tackle the rest of the course with a great state of mind.
    Please access your mental health resources in your area, they are generally wonderful people who have experienced it themselves. Whatever you do, don't just rely on medication to fix anything. Like painkillers for a sports injury, they dont serve a 'healing' purpose, but do facilitate it through allowing you to do physio and rest with minimal discomfort.
    Feel free to inbox me.

8. I don't blame you if you withdraw. The PGCE puts a massive amount of stress and workload on students. I think the amount of paperwork which students have to amass is nothing short of crazy. Not to mention the obsession with planning and the paperwork that goes with it.

If you withdraw don't worry about it too much. Take care