1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Candidate Collapsed During GCSE Exam

Discussion in 'English' started by sforster123, Jun 7, 2016.

1. sforster123

sforster123 New commenter

Hey all,

A candidate for AQA GCSE English Language collapsed during the exam today. He managed to complete question 1, and attempted questions 2 and 3 - although he barely wrote another for Qs 2 and 3. The Exams Officer is applying for Special Consideration - will he be awarded his predicted C grade? His Controlled Assessment has been awarded a B grade by his teacher.

Thanks! :)

2. sforster123

3. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

He will not be awarded his predicted grade. Exam boards don't even collect them any more, as they are so unreliable.

Ordinarily, an enhancement to the marks would be made. According to the JCQ special consideration guidance, a 'illness of a more serious nature' is likely to see 3% added to the student's raw total marks (bear in mind that 5% is the absolute maximum).

However, this does sound like a more severe incident than is typical. It may be that the student could be considered absent for the entire paper. In this case, the exam board will project his/her mark. They do this by looking at what the student got for his/her completed assessment (in this case, the controlled assessment) and then look at how students with the same mark performed on the exam – awarding the absent student a mark based on this (so if students with x marks in the CA get, on average, y marks in the exam, this mark will be awarded to the absent student).

The first option is far more likely, as the student was present. It may be worth trying to talk to someone at AQA to explain the situation.

A key factor will be the reason for the collapse. If it is due to an illness or external event, then special consideration will be awarded (at the exam board's disgression, of course). If the collapse was just due to exam stress, then I'm afraid the student isn't entitled to anything (because there is nothing 'special' about being stressed about an exam).

4. sforster123

I'm not his teacher, I'm his parent, so I can't speak to anyone from AQA. He's been taking antibiotics for a chest infection, and has just come back from the hospital. He has evidence that he attended hospital also. According to him, he would have only attained about 6 marks for the work he did do - it wasn't much at all.

Thank you.

5. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

In that case, speak to the Exams Officer at your son's school urgently. You will need to provide the evidence from the hospital to prove that he did attend and that his illness was severe. The Exams Officer will be extremely busy over the next few days, obviously, but they will need the paperwork you have and they will need to contact the exam board.
    Good luck. Hope your son feels better soon.

6. sforster123

The hospital have said that it was likely to be a faint, probably caused by the illnesses he has at the moment. I'm sure this is serious enough?

Thank you, hopefully he'll be on the mend soon.