1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Candidate Collapsed During GCSE Exam

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by sforster123, Jun 7, 2016.

1. sforster123

sforster123 New commenter

Hey all,

A candidate in the AQA GCSE English Language exam collapsed in the middle of the exam! They answer question 1, and were onto questions 2 and 3. They'd barely completed any of Qs 2 and 3, though.

The Exams Officer has applied for Special Consideration. Will they still be awarded their predicted grade? They got a B for the Controlled Assessments.

Thanks! :)

2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Contact the exam board.

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Your candidate collapsed in the exam and your primary consideration is whether they are going to get their predicted grade or not.

Not nice.

4. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

Bit unfair that comment. We don't know anything about the incident - I think it was a valid question. I'm sure the poster didn't mean to come across as uncaring.

5. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

The Exam Officer (and HT) are the people who should reassure the candidate/their parents, best that other teachers refer all questions to them.

wanet likes this.
  7. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Agree there is a proceedure to deal with this, let it happen. Not sure why you are concerning yourself.

8. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

No need - the Exams Officer has already done it.

I don't think anybody can advise you on what the Exam Board will do. I think they are likely to be sympathetic, but you will have to wait for them to decide. Even when they do, I think appeals can be made - our Head managed to get the odd decision reveresed by making a personal visit. All you can do is be supportive as much as you can. Leave official actions to those who are supposed to do them.

sabrinakat likes this.