1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

cancer and stroke

Discussion in 'Personal' started by pastychucker, Oct 26, 2011.

1. hello - I know this kind of question belongs on health & well being but there is less traffic on there.
    A close relative has lung cancer. She has had 1 lung removed and was in the middle of the 2nd course of chemo when she had a stroke. Not getting much info from the hospital apart from that they are assessing her. She can speak and swallow a little. She is very confused and rambling.
    Does anyone have any experiences of this or some advice? Please help, I feel so helpless. I live a long way away.

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

from my limited knowledge it is quite common for folk who have a stroke to be confused as the stroke affects the part of the braim which helps out memory.also speech sometimes.
    She probabaly cant understand what has happened to her and it must be really hard for her.
    i assume they wont continue whith chemo till she is well again..or til they make sure the chemo doesnt affect her state........the clot possibly was from her opp but she should have been on clot busters for a period of time.
    I am so sorry to hear your news .xx

3. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

So sorry to hear your news pastychucker. The 48 hours following a stroke are crucial. Survival
    Chances improve greatly once this time has passed. It's normal for the victim to be confused and bewildered and for speech to be slurred or totally incoherent. The hospital should perform a brain scan in the next few days which will tell you more about the type of effect. 2 people close to me ( one very close relative and the other a family friend after whom I'm named) both suffered huge strokes at a young age which we were told should have killed them. They're both very much alive over a decade later.
    I hope the outcome for your relative is positive, thinking of you.

4. zannar

zannar New commenter

Sorry to hear your news. My mum had a stroke following wrong advice re a small procedure in March. At first it was really scary, rambling and non recognition of family. Now she is still having some speech problems but she is now my Mum again.
    Patience and perseverence are key.
    Mum also said she really appreciated us taking the mick and showing a sense of humour. She did not want to feel like an invalid.
    She knows what she wants to say and can understand everything but the words sometimes get jumbled, which we all laugh about at times.
    Each patient experiences different symptoms and it can take time to see results.
    Push hard for any physio and speech and language help, we had to.
    Hope things improve and take care of yourself. Y ou can't help if you are too stressed or tired.

5. impis

impis New commenter

Years and years ago [at least 40 years, I should think] my nan had a stroke. She was completely paralised on one side. I don't know how confused she was at the time - I was just a child - but I do know that she followed all the advice given to her, did the exercises they told her to do, and within 6 months was back to how she'd been before. She was about 60 at the time.
    More recently, and old friend had bowel cancer, then a year later, had a stroke. He's not fully fit yet, but has made a good recovery from both conditions.
    Keep positive! She could pull through well.

6. zannar

zannar New commenter

Good news and good luck. Keep positive.
    Spoke to my mum today and she is making huge progress. Slow start but she is getting there.
    Remember to ask for all the support you can get. In these cash strapped times it can be hard work but keep nagging those involved.
    We are still fighting for the support they promised but they are getting fed up with us so hopefully the support will improve just to shut us up.[​IMG]