1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Canapes

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by glitterkid, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Any great suggestions? Have to take a couple of batches to a small gathering next week and would like something foolproof. Trouble is, I keep seeing loads of recipes, but would like a tried and tested crowd pleaser. There was a nice thread on here last Christmas I think, which I'll look at, but was wondering if there was anything amazing anyone had had lately.

Thanks in advance
    GK

2. Maybe they are not fancy enough but falafel and Spanish omelette (tortilla de patatas) are always two of my greatests successes. And your vegetarian friends will appreciate the meat/fish free options.

3. Also, slice a medium sized courgette with a potato peeler, fry slices until golden and make rolls with a Philadelphia cheese and smoked salmon filling, hold together with a toothpick if necessary.

Hope it helps!

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Ham hock, minted pea puree and horseradish blinis:

Buy ready-made mini or 'cocktail' blinis (sod making your own). -
    Make a pea puree by boiling petits pois (frozen) with a sprig of mint. Drain, remove mint, refresh and then blitz until completely smooth with a few more picked mint leaves, a little butter, salt and white pepper.
    Either buy ready cooked and flaked ham hock or boil and flake your own. The former is a hundred times quicker, just as nice and hardly any more expensive.
    Make horseradish cream by grating fresh horseradish into creme fraiche with a spritz of lemon juice or buy ready-made (a good quality one that's not full of sugar and vinegar).
    Top each blini with a dollop of pea puree, a small dollop of horseradish and then generous flakes of ham hock.
    Delish and look impressive. Ace with gin martinis.

5. Ooh I am feeling hungry now! Thanks nick and galaxia.

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Make tiny yorkies in a mini muffin tin and fill with horseradish and a slither of rare roast beef (or pastrami works well too).
    A great one also, but better for serving at home, is to get some of those white oriental soup spoons, place some shredded Chinese leaf or Savoy cabbage in teh spoon, top with a couple of prawns that have marinaded in chilli, garlic, coriander and lime (or buy some ready prepared chilli and coriander prawns from the supermarket) then just before serving top with a dollop of warmed Thai red curry sauce (yes, ready made sauce I know but I find just a cheapo one will do here!) Eat off the spoon!

7. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

As do chunks of chipolata. Mini toads-in-the-hole!

8. BelleDuJour

Tadpoles in the hole! [​IMG]

9. Can you do something hot? If so - devils on horseback - prunes wrapped in bacon and cooked in the oven. My Christmas favourite!

10. BelleDuJour

Angels on horseback even better....oysters wrapped in bacon!

11. My fav is cream cheese and horseradish rolled in smoked salmon and sliced .
    Or mini bruschettas easy and inexpensive

12. Or when you have neithe prunes nor oysters use dried apricot - soak till they plump up, then put a bit of brie inside and wrap in the bacon

13. Lychees wrapped in bacon are delicious.
    *waves to maddy*

14. Ok, I've not had devils nor angels on horseback ever! The most exciting thing I've had wrappe din bacon is chicken or a sausage! I feel I may have to experience the oysters / prune option this Christmas.

Went with savoury palmiers - puff pastry with pesto, chopped sunblushed tomatoes, goats' cheese and toasted pine nuts, rolled up, sliced and cooked - went down very well.
    Also did one a friend had made before which turns out is a nigella recipe - toasted pitta triangles, topped with hoummous (sp?) and a yummy mixture of red onion, pomegranete and coriander (very festive looking).
    Both were a big hit, although I was somewhat disappointed to see that everyone had gone for the M&S 3 for 2 party food contribution except for a girl who had made vol-au-vents. Made my homemade stuff go down much better though.
    I am dying to eat all those bread toppings that have been posted.