1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Canadian Teacher - Moving from England to Scotland

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by JuliaS20, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Hi,

I am currently teaching in England and hoping to potentially move to Scotland to teach. Scotland was originally my first choice but at the time it was much faster to get a job in England. Now that I have taught in several schools and gotten adjusted to England, I am very unhappy and stressed out - like most of the teachers in England. We have no rights, are overworked and are expected to do nothing less than perfection. Anyone in the teaching field knows that this is not possible. We become teachers for a reason. We are passionate, hard working and want our students to succeed and become productive members of our community, however we are not perfect. Nor are our students.

I am wondering if anyone in Scotland or anyone who has experience teaching in Scotland can let me know how it is there? Differences? Similarities? Advice you might have? My boyfriend is English and wanting to start his own company but we are still quite fresh in our relationship so I think it is too early for us to think about leaving the UK right now. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Julia

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

You would need to register with the GTCS and learn a different curriculum.
    I don't know about the working conditions though a friend who moved from England to Scotland has had difficulties getting a permanent job.

3. terrysusan90

terrysusan90 New commenter

Hi Julia,

Did you move to Scotland? Did you find the workload and pressures any better?

Best wishes, Caroline

4. sioken39

sioken39 New commenter

Can I make a suggestion, you might be on the wrong forum, try Education News instead, you might get more replies. Can't help myself as I'm retired, but good luck.