1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Canadian Teacher looking to work in North England/Wales

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by cmollico, Jul 12, 2017.

1. cmollico

cmollico New commenter

Hi there,

Though I am not currently qualified, I will complete my Masters of Teaching at a Canadian University in April 2018 and am looking to move to, and teach in North England/Wales soon thereafter...

http://www.ewc.wales/site/index.php...nition-as-a-qualified-school-teacher-in-wales

Firstly, ^ According to this website, it looks as though as a Canadian trained teacher I am NOT qualified to work in Wales. I am wondering if anyone knows if there are any loopholes around this? If not, what are my next steps in order to qualify?

Secondly, my teachable is English and I am in the Junior/Intermediate division meaning I am eligible to teach grades 4-10. How does this transfer over to the UK teaching division? What Key Stages will I be eligible to teach? I think I would be qualified to teach Key Stage 2-4 but I am unsure..

Feel free to share any other experiences working in England/Wales or advice in terms of employment opportunities!

Thanks.

2. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

Most schools in England (state) are Primary age 4 to 11 (early years/ks1/ks2)or Infants age 4 to 7 (early years/ks1) or Junior age 7 to 11(ks2) . There are a few through schools from 4 to 18. In ks1 and 2 you need to teach all subjects.
    There are teacher shortages in some areas but not all. There are very few jobs in the north west but lots in the south east.
    You would need to have your qualifications checked by NARIC
    https://www.naric.org.uk/naric/
    In Canada do you need to complete a probationary year. If you do you may have to do that first before you can teach in England as you will need to apply for QTS.