1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Canadian Teacher in UK needing help with the system!

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by rm2000, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Hello there:
    I've just gone through all the forums regarding overseas trained teachers and how horribly the QTS rule has impacted them. I'm a fully qualified Canadian teacher here in the UK on a spousal visa and have gone through similar anguish while navigating the system for 2 years. I haven't worked here yet as a teacher and was wondering how best to approach the QTS rule. One agency said that I am not considered a qualified teacher and would only be able to work as a teachers' assistant. Another agency said that I was OK to teach and would be able to do so for 5 years without having the QTS come into effect. Another said that with my years of teaching in Canada, I probably could pass the induction phase and get my QTS right away. Please help as all this conflicting information is quite mind boggling! Help please...

Thank you!

2. Hello there:
    I've just gone through all the forums regarding overseas trained teachers and how horribly the QTS rule has impacted them. I'm a fully qualified Canadian teacher here in the UK on a spousal visa and have gone through similar anguish while navigating the system for 2 years. I haven't worked here yet as a teacher and was wondering how best to approach the QTS rule. One agency said that I am not considered a qualified teacher and would only be able to work as a teachers' assistant. Another agency said that I was OK to teach and would be able to do so for 5 years without having the QTS come into effect. Another said that with my years of teaching in Canada, I probably could pass the induction phase and get my QTS right away. Please help as all this conflicting information is quite mind boggling! Help please...

Thank you!

3. I am also a Canadian teacher trying to get QTS. I've been here 8 years in an independent school. The rule is you can only teach in state schools for four years, by which time if you do not have QTS you can no longer teach in state but can teach in independent. Until you get QTS you will probably be paid on the unqualified scale. With the OTT programme, you can do either assessment only or assessment with training, it's up to the EBIT provider which they put you through for. The one I am dealing with claim that assessment only can be done in 8 weeks, but that is impossible because their latest email said that I had to do a six week placement in another school. I'm not exactly sure what my current school is supposed to do for a teacher in my class while I'm off on placement, or what I am supposed to do for a salary! I have a certificate from NARIC which says my BEd is an equivilent to a British one, so I find it a bit bonkers that we are made to jump through such complicated hoops, but as far as I can tell there is no way around it, you just have to get QTS. You will just have to find a school that is willing to take you on and get it done for you.

4. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

I'm canadian and gained my qts here. I taught as a supply for a year to gain experience. Then got a job in a state school and did my qts in my 3rd year. It took me about a term, maybe less. It was a snap. You also have to take the skills tests and pass them.
    I had lots of evidence to meet all the standards.
    I was paid qualified, but my school was a foundation school.
    Otherwise I think most state schools would have to pay you on an unqualified rate.
    You don't always have to do another placement in another school if you have taught across the keystages. And it depends on the OTT provider.

5. Hi there,
    I am also a Canadian teaching in the U.K and my Tier 5 youth mobility visa is set to expire in August, however, I am currently in the process of obstaining my QTS. I have two questions for you:
    1) What specific types of evidence did you put in your portfolio?
    2) How do we go about renewing our visas? According to online government websites, I am not eligible to renew it if I came over with the visa that I did. Do you have any information that might help?
    Thanks!

6. 1 - Evidence - I used a million different things, reflection logs, narratives, the student appointments and notes from a parents evening, letters to and from parents, observations by my head of department and deputy head, the interim observations from the QTS person, hand outs from the new teachers meetings, lesson plans (with notes to point out what area it pertained to), etc. Just consider everything you do and how it shows that you meet the criteria, keep organized and make a running list of the standards and what evidence you have to meet them that can act as a table of contents to the folder. Also a piece of evidence can count for multiple standards, so that is nice!

2 - Not sure since you are Canadian and a part of the common wealth if rules are different as I am from the US, but from what I've been reading on immigration boards it will be more difficult as your school will have to apply for a tier 2 visa for you, and I'm not sure how difficult they are for schools to get, especially as there are shortages of positions for recent PGCE graduates, etc.
    Good luck!