1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

can you

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by heldon, Nov 13, 2011.

1. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

can you go on strike if you were not balloted and joined the union after the ballot?
    young colleagues not sure-and neither was I

2. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

can you go on strike if you were not balloted and joined the union after the ballot?
    young colleagues not sure-and neither was I

3. sbf

sbf New commenter

Yes you as long as you are a member of a union that voted yes on the day of the strike, you could even join on the day of the strike.

4. I advise people check directly with their union... it may depend on how they did their paperwork to the local authorities.

5. Just do it - you won't get paid anyway..sooo???

6. If you "strike" when you are not entitled to legally.... you could be in breach of contract and FIRED soooooo check your status first.

7. redz

redz New commenter

According to info given to us from authority you are entitled to strike even if not in a union, clearly states this

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Are you sure? I thought the legal position was that striking was a breach of contract but the deal was that, as long as the strike was a legal one,your union would protect you from any action from employer. Therefore,this makes it possible for employees to legally strike. However,if you are not in a union,I'm not certain what your legal position is. Surely,you are off work without a reason or legal protection?

9. Surely this makes sense? Otherwise, non-unionised employees would be required by the employer to cross the picket-lines of a legal strike. That can't be right, can it?

10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

It might not be right but I'm pretty sure that this is the legal position in the UK,mostly brought in by anti-unions legislations from the previous Tory government.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

It's not just non-unionised employees who are required to cross the picket line of an official strike. Members of unions other than the union(s) who are on official strike have to cross the picket line too as members of teaching unions will recall they had to do when unison members were on strike a couple of years ago. It caused an enormous fuss when some members of EIS refused to cross a picket line, against the advice issued by the EIS.
    The advice to members of unions other than the striking union(s) is to listen to members of a picket line, express sympathy and support and donate to collections if you wish but to cross the line and attend work as normal but do not do any work which is normally performed by the striking colleagues.