1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you use this? Xenotransplantation

Discussion in 'Science' started by littlesare, Jul 14, 2007.

1. A couple of years ago some pupils at our school won a competition to make a film about science.

They made an animation about xenotransplantation that is on the Teacher's TV website. hardly anyone has written reviews or used the resource. They have left now but keep e-mailing me with their disappointment. I think it would be good for lots of science in the news activities and it has resources to go with it. Please have a look!
    http://www.teachers.tv/video/3190

Let me know what you think and I'll pass on any comments
    Thanks

2. A couple of years ago some pupils at our school won a competition to make a film about science.

They made an animation about xenotransplantation that is on the Teacher's TV website. hardly anyone has written reviews or used the resource. They have left now but keep e-mailing me with their disappointment. I think it would be good for lots of science in the news activities and it has resources to go with it. Please have a look!
    http://www.teachers.tv/video/3190

Let me know what you think and I'll pass on any comments
    Thanks

3. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I had to go and look up what xenotransplantaion means - I remember coming across it before, but it had faded from my memory. Therein lies the problem I think, if I as a science teacher have to do that, then what chance the general population.

It also seems to have fallen from favour in the medical profession and also the news - I don't know, but my guess is that it didn't become the cure-all that at one time it might have seemed.

4. Mangleworzle,

Thnaks for that, As you are not aware what xenotransplantation is perhaps an animal brain transplant might help? =) Seriously is a very good film and might help you gain some knowledge
    Go watch

5. sci84

sci84 New commenter

If you Gateway Additional Science, one of the research tasks is based around this area

6. I love the film! I came across this post googling "xenotransplantation film" (looking for something that explains the issues for my college class so they don't have to listen to me droning on) and it is just the thing! I plan to use it on Tuesday so will let you know.
    Thanks for this!

7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Not only did I have to look up xenotranlantation the idea that anyone actually watches teachers tv is also quite bizarre!

8. I like it and would use it but xenotransplantation is not on our schemes of work/ exam specs.
    I use a really good one on stem cells called stem cell controversy which is from the same series I think!

9. spolem1

spolem1 New commenter

I *have* used it, as this is on the IGCSE biology spec which I am teaching. My students really enjoyed it, but they did say that it was hard to understand what some of the characters was saying. I didn't realise there were resources too, I'll have a look at these next time.

10. Hi littlesare,

Hope you don't mind I have posted these comments in a few places...

I used this with a BTEC Applied Science class. I loved it - it raised a lot of the issues and simplified the science. Here are some of my students' comments. They are older (age 17+) and as I had really enjoyed the video I thought they would too, even though it is aimed at KS4. Thank you for this resource! I wlll definitely use it with younger students too - in the context of how the immune system works and ethical issues in science.

?I thought that your animation was entertaining yet informative and would be good to show to pupils in secondary schools. Good luck!?

?Had a lot of good information and was very funny.?

?The cartoon would help raise the issue to younger children/teenagers about xenotransplantation. It also raises awareness that major transplants are an issue for children too.?

?Great wee show (smiley face). Easy to understand. The cartoons were a great idea to get the message across. Putting pigs hearts into people is a good idea, I think as it will save many lives (smiley face).?

?It was funny. It had a lot of information.?

?One of the characters looked like my teacher and made it really funny. The character Suzy was cute (smiley face). I loved the mix of humans and talking animals in the video. It was really cool (smiley face). Thank you. It shows ethics with science at the same time (smiley face).

?I believe the material is described in good detail for its target audience.?

?Very good production for GCSE age people. I like how its cartoonized as it would appeal to younger people and inform them of the xenotransplantation. Very good! (smiley face)?

?The material is explained well and in detail for an audience of a younger age group.?