1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you tutor past pupils?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by carolineroy021, May 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. install

install Star commenter

Agree.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Oh well, that's me done for.

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I wouldn't tutor anybody at a school where I worked, but if they, or I, were no longer there, I can see no conflict of interest. The issue of allegations is one which could occur with any student, regardless of whether I had taught them before. For what it is worth, the only time this has happened was last year, tutoring somebody for an A-level retake. I last taught her when she was in Year 7, and the renewed contact came via her grandfather who I met at my running club, a couple of years ago.

4. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

Ignoring the legality of it I don't understand how a full time teacher would have time for tutoring. The twenty years I spent as a teacher it was a very full time job. When I got time to myself the last thing I would have wanted to do was tutoring!

install likes this.
  5. install

install Star commenter

Edit

The conflict of interest for a private tutor teaching an ex student can indeed occur imho.

For example, if the private tutor taught any coursework in Yr10 or Yr12 - and then continued to be involved in some way with the continued drafting of that work later as a private tutor.

Additionally should a relationship then occur in later years the argument might be that the teacher and then tutor took advantage in some way of their original position at the school.

And here’s some sensible advice for all private tutors out there:

‘Child protection
    Child protection is an important area for private tutors to understand.

Some parents will ask to see what is known as a ‘DBS certificate’ which proves that there is no known reason why you cannot work with children or vulnerable adults....

Sensible child protection advice specific to private tuition includes:

• working with the parent or carer from the outset
    • having another adult present in the same or adjacent room
    • avoiding inappropriate social relations and physical contact with a child.

Personal safety

Private tutors rarely consider their own personal safety. However, when meeting a potential client for the first time it is advisable to meet in public or to let a friend or family member know where you are going.

When you are in a new environment, also make sure you have a clear exit from the room and building...,

Legal matters
    Tutors are sometimes unaware of their legal requirements.

If you tutor in your own home, you have a legal obligation to make sure it is a safe space for students.

If you advertise your services, you are obliged to advertise them accurately and truthfully and not over-claim about your own qualifications and experience or the results you expect to achieve for your students.

You must also pay tax on what you earn...keeping clear records of income and expenditure.

Tutors are also advised to draw up appropriate written terms for their private tuition. This gives clarity to both the tutor and client, and helps avoid misunderstandings and non-payment.’

6. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

Wow, you've both gone lockdown crazy. It's easy. Teachers should not offer private tuition to students in their current school, whether in their own classes or not. Teachers should not offer private tuition on the school premises without getting permission from the head first. Teachers can tutor either ex-students after the students have left the school, or students from the teacher's old school. If the school runs 1-2-1 booster sessions that they will pay a teacher extra for in or out of school time, then that is perfectly fine.

Piranha and briancant like this.
  7. br0wnsugar

br0wnsugar Occasional commenter

Any thoughts on tutors taking out 'public liability insurance' if working as a tutor? Question = why and is it compulsory? That is, in addition, to what you have outlined above. Better still is there a manual or some other reading material that outlines how to set up private tutoring services?

8. br0wnsugar

br0wnsugar Occasional commenter

Precisely what I understood in terms of teacher responsibility.

9. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

I can't for the life of me think why you would need it. Tutoring is brilliant because it is unregulated. In these days of big government and over centralization tutors have been left alone. Long may it continue.

10. Abdullah15555

Abdullah15555 New commenter

You’re working privately, so you can do what you want.