1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you tutor past pupils?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by carolineroy021, May 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. So I am moving schools in summer, and have had a number of parents ask if I would offer private tutoring once I move schools. I know you should not tutor pupils from your current school but is there any reason you can't tutor pupils from a past school? I've found no legislation whatsoever that says I can't.

2. alsoamum

alsoamum Occasional commenter

I've done this several times. No issues contract wise but depending on the family it can be a bit of a weird dynamic and a teacher and tutor role have very different expectations.

3. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

There's no reason not to, likewise there's no reason not to tutor pupils in your current school. I've done it for years, not only in the full knowledge of schools, but having my details passed on by them.

tuscanydays and Kateray1 like this.
  4. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

I tutored pupils from a current school I worked in, in fact I was laid by the school to have lessons after school with certain pupils.

I have also had students from previous schools to.

I didn’t find it strange at all.

tuscanydays likes this.
  5. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

I tutored a past pupil's child

Kateray1 likes this.
  6. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

And future students. We get a lot of new students in Year 12 from local 11-16 schools. One of those had some paid-for summer tuition before starting in September, when of course all the help became free.

7. install

install Star commenter

Yes there is a reason if it’s a conflict of interest. Eg You are privately tutoring someone whom you would normally teach.

briancant likes this.
  8. install

install Star commenter

I wouldn’t advise private tutoring past pupils.

9. phatsals

No there isn't. You've made that up. Remember, the government paid for people to tutor in schools during the Con/Lib alliance. I was one of them, as were other p/t teachers. No conflict of interest but a real uplift in results, at that time I was given 10 weeks (hours) to move children up a year, and I did. The target wasn't SEN children, but those who with a bit of help could really progress to the next level. That scheme last a good few years, it was a tremendous success.

So we continue to tutor, if needs be the school allows us to tutor in the premises. If someone asks about tutoring, our details are passed on - by the school. Just like in the indy's

tuscanydays likes this.
  10. install

install Star commenter

No. Sorry, I think you have misread the OP’s post.

And I have certainly not made anything up but I do think, judging by your example, that you have the wrong end of the stick.

Your view references extra school tutoring on site as ‘private tutoring’. I think the OP is not talking about going into a school at all.

Extra tutoring with visiting tutors coming into school is a different ball game - and one which hopefully provides all the safeguarding and agreements needed.

11. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

If your employed full time as a teacher, your contract may have conditions on what other work you may or may not do.

If it does not say anything I would approach the headteacher and check first. As @install says there may be accusations of conflict of interest, so declaring it first would mean the headteacher could not say you were not upholding the teaching standards.

install likes this.
  12. phatsals

I haven't misunderstood at all. I tutor privately, if needs be I tutor in school, after school, mostly, I don't. Some HTs may be against it, but that is a personal and not a legal choice. I've never seen in any of my contracts any reference to 'other work'. These are views based on hearsay, not fact. We've all taught children who are tutored outside of school, some with great success, some not. In my school, we know the children are tutored and we know by whom, it isn't a conflict of interest, ultimately it helps boost the schools performance.

I certainly do agree that a discussion with the HT is in order, for the sake of openness, if they don't want the OP to tutor children in their school, fine. But if the OP is now moving schools, that no longer applies.

tuscanydays likes this.
  13. install

install Star commenter

Sorry - I think you have misunderstood the potential ‘conflict of interest’ in the OP’s case tbh.

Clearing it with the Head in the school as @Stiltskin has pointed out would be acceptable though. And it would guard against accusations of playing games and failed safeguarding too.

So we will have to agree to disagree.

14. phatsals

Please define 'conflict of interest'?

Clearing it with the head of the school you teach in, regarding pupils in that school, yes. However, ex-pupils from an ex-school? You are now going into complete made-up land. What accusations of 'playing games', what accusations of 'failed safeguarding? All entire fabrications.

15. install

install Star commenter

Fascinating response.

One which the parents of this student wouldn’t agree with imho:

‘ Former private school teacher accused of inappropriate relationship with student
    RoseAnna Busby said she found handwritten notes to her son from his former high school teacher.
    Tuesday, August 13th 2019, 5:37 PM EDT by Caroline Corrigan
    [​IMG]
    The Catoosa County Sheriff's Office is investigating a former private school teacher, accused of having an inappropriate relationship with one of her students.

RoseAnna Busby said she found handwritten notes to her son from his former high school teacher.

"I love you. I care about you and I don't think I could ever stop," Busby said, recalling the notes.’

16. phatsals

17. install

install Star commenter

Fascinating response again.

They are factual headlines to do with the potential dangers of private tutoring and the reasons why private tutors in all countries need to ensure there is :

No conflict of interest; and
    All safeguarding measures are in place.

I would also advise private tutors to be in a Union in case of false accusations.

I rest my case.

18. phatsals

I'm sure all the private tutors on here will be hanging on your every word.

tuscanydays likes this.
  19. install

install Star commenter

Exactly ...

20. phatsals

Oh dear, the irony.