1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

can you teach in IB schools without having done the NQT year?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by cboulter, Sep 3, 2009.

1. I'm an NQT having just qualified with a PGCE in Secondary English this July. I decided a few months back to delay my NQT year as I felt wrung out due to several reasons and wanted to take a step back from teaching for a while and perhaps try a couple of other career options I've always wanted to try like working in the charity and publishing sectors, knowing that I always had my PGCE (and a previously-done TESOL certificate) to fall back on. Previous to the PGCE I'd done some EFL teaching in China for a year and then a year teaching language and literature in Bangladesh where I received good feedback from teachers, students and parents about my teaching as well has having good feedback from my teaching during the past PGCE year.
    After having had the summer break I feel more positive about getting back into teaching, but I still am not that keen on doing the NQT year, mostly because I'm not that positive about the National Curriculum and the whole system of GCSEs and even A'Levels, league tables etc etc. Perhaps it was just the two schools I was placed in, but the almost all the lessons I saw in my subject were very teacher-led, teachers stressing about having to achieve certain targets to ensure the English results improved that year; doing pupils' coursework for them (not just helping them, which I'm all for, actually doing it for them), and the actual structure and content of the examinations and assessments themselves didn't appeal to me, etc etc. I'm more keen on becoming involved in the IB system, which I know isn't perfect either (what education system is?) but from what I know about it (relatives having done it and taught it) I think I would prefer to teach it. I'm also going to visit a couple of schools next week, one does the IB, one doesn't, to try and get a wider view of the IB and opinions for/against it and anything else to add to my knowledge (or lack of).
    I grew up moving from place to place and have lived in 5 different countries and still at present have a strong urge to live abroad again. My ex-boss from my school in Bangladesh is now head of an international school in Bangalore and has said in the past she would be happy to offer me a job should a vacancy arise, and we've remained in touch. My current worries are:
    If I were to get a job in Bangalore, or in any other IB school abroad that would take me e.g. in Sept 2010 or even before (I hanker after going abroad again, I have to be honest) for e.g. a standard 2/3 year contract, would I be able to come back to the UK and teach in IB schools here if I wished to return to the UK for a while and continue teaching, without having done my NQT year, or would I have to at some point do the NQT year?
    In many ways I hesitate at applying for NQT jobs because I'm not so keen on the education system here, but I worry if I don't do the NQT year (and soon), my future job prospects both here and abroad will be limited. On the other hand, if I can gain experience in the IB system abroad and still have the opportunity to work in IB schools here if I choose to return to the UK, then why put myself through an NQT year here within a system I don't wholly believe in?
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Claire

2. The key is whether the post you obtain on returning is in the state or private sector. Most IB schools are private and, as such you are not required to complete an induction year though most offer induction. State schools will require you to complete induction as it is statutory.
    My advice to NQTs is to complete induction ASAP, but of course ultimately it is your choice.
    James

3. I also didn't complete my NQT year and am now over 10 years on and considering returning to teaching - as a supply teacher. Will I still be able to do supply - or would I need to do some kind of top up? I have been working with schools for all of the gap period, both delivering teacher CPD and modelling classroom delivery in an education charity. Again advice would be appreciated.