1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you teach adults with a primary PGCE?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by kimberley_gail_ferguson, Dec 24, 2019.

1. kimberley_gail_ferguson

kimberley_gail_ferguson New commenter

Hi everyone,

I have a Primary PGCE from Bangor University (2011). When I graduated I struggled to get a permanent teaching position and worked as a supply teacher for a few months. For the last 8 years I have worked in marketing (I have a BA in Media Arts). I would like to return to teaching one day, but would prefer to teach marketing/media studies at adults at a college or university.

Would I need an additional course to do so or is a primary PGCE transferable?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Apologies if this has been covered in another thread.

2. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

A PGCE is a PGCE, you now have professional experience in marketing, a dream come true in FE.

No problem, go for it.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. kimberley_gail_ferguson

Thanks Phatsals. I'm also conscious that I haven't completed my NQT year to formally qualify as a teacher - is this something that can be done when teaching in a college or university environment?

4. phatsals

If/when you work in FE you can start QTLS, register with SET, pay a fee and do the work, similar to your NQT year. You do have to keep QTLS up to date with regular CPD. It is now regarded as equivalent to QTS.

Alternatively, you could find a post where you could apply for an NQT year, get each term signed off then that's it, no need to keep paying. This would more likely be in a 6th form setting. I can't really see this being suited to you as you're more drawn to working with adults.

You don't need either to work in FE or HE, it's a bonus. It does however, mean you can be paid on the qualified teacher scale where appropriate.

5. kimberley_gail_ferguson

Thanks again for your help - I'm going to get in touch with SET.

6. Thanks for this.. I thought you could only teach primary with a PGCE in Primary.

7. phatsals

If you have QTS you can teach everything from Reception to Year 13. The trick is to persuade an employer to give you a job. It is, however, doable and a PGCE is a PGCE. It's perfectly possible now not to have anything other that QTS. Things change all the time.