1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you teach a child to 'think'?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by AdmiralNelson, Mar 2, 2012.

1. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

I think this is rather a naive view of the education system - many teachers teach classes of c.30 and maybe 250-300+ per week. Find time for all of them?

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Correct there is no way time can be found for the individual 1-2-1 this child needs, but there should be. Classes are far too big to allow for this, fair enough, a class of beautifully behaved pupils, eagerly working and applying themselves is a dream and up to 35 in a class can easily be taught, not sure about the marking though!
    But every child deserves the opportunity to gain the most from her/his education. Any child who is coasting, as this child appears to be, needs the teacher to find out why and resolve it.
    Can't you tell I'm a idealist!!!!

3. Herringthecat

Herringthecat New commenter

Not offended!

I think I meant 'ought' in the way Admiral Nelson is referring to - and have spent enough time in schools and around teachers not to be naive about the kinds of demands this is going to make on my time and semblance of work-life balance. If in my NQT year I have 200 odd pupils across 5 to 7 year groups, and there is a child like this in every class, what on earth do you do? Take on the case personally - whatever that case might be? Refer on to a different agent within the school (poss starting with the tutor group? Counsellor? EP?) Just let it go?

I was just interested to hear other people's responses because to me this must be one of the main conundrums / frustrations of the reality of teaching: not enough hours in the day to give everybody really what they would benefit from - a constant battle to be 'good enough'.

PS I have probs with paragraphs too, and have to use html to fix them. I have to write the letters 'br' in pointy brackets each time I would like a paragraph break.

4. BlueJuno

BlueJuno New commenter

Hi, I'm inclined to agree with lapinrose...
    Despite teaching nearly 300 students I know I am idealistic and like to think that I do what I can for each and every one of them. This does not mean to say I am not also aware of the practicalities of everyday teaching!
    I agree that this cannot happen consistently on a one-to-one basis; it's simply not realistic. What I was suggesting is that herringthecat, in their voluntary capacity as TA, could perhaps do this. I am fortunate that our class sizes do not exceed 26 and that on the whole our students are incredibly well-behaved. As a result I do find the time for those who require it but this does not mean that we all can be doing it for our students...I completely understand that this is simply not practical in many schools. However, I would maintain that teachers ought to put in the effort to ensure all have the opportunity to succeed.
    As herringthecat suggests simply 'flagging' him up to his form tutor could have the desired effect and I think that this could be the next step after speaking with the classroom teacher.
    (P.S. Thanks for making me feel better about paragraphs ....fingers crossed they will appear!!!)
    Blue

5. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

Some of it is attitude (which has several dimensions), some of it is ability.
    Some of my year 11s had a maths exam during the afternoon, so I let them revise for it. I sat down with a few of them and gave them some advice and suggestions on a practice paper - even simple shape rotation was a bit of a struggle for one (reminding them was 90 degrees was...).
    The attitude of a student sometimes means they just compartmentalise everything - everything is understood in its own place, but the ability to generalise outside of that boundary is non-existent.
    The ability to learn gets a bit crushed in the push to cover the curriculum (and then we see the introduction of hypothetical "Learning Skills" lessons...*sigh*)