1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you take a PGCE again?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Semm, May 6, 2020.

1. Semm

Semm New commenter

Hi everyone,

If you fail your QTS, would you be able to accepted on to another course or do most providers see this as a no-no.

Many thanks,

2. rolls

rolls Occasional commenter

You would not be able to get finding for a start. Even if you were to self fund I doubt anyone would take you on, ITT providers are OFSTED inspected so concerned about pass rates. You can ask your provider to consider you for an extra placement to give you a chance to pass,

agathamorse likes this.
  3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Did you pass your pgce?

4. Semm

Semm New commenter

Yes, passed the PGCE and still had 9 weeks of my second placement left before the Covid 19 outbreak. My mentor gave mea negative report and said I wasn't passing the standards. I believe in these circumstances I should be offered another placement anyway.

5. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

The DfE issued guidance around passing off standards during this crisis. You shouldn't be disadvantaged because of not completing your placements so if you were not in track to pass them they should allow you a chance in September to complete your placements and evidence meeting the standards. Was this at at university of a Scitt?

6. Semm

Semm New commenter

It was a SCITT

7. teebo1981

teebo1981 New commenter

I am in a strange position where i currently will fail my course but have a job in September where the school said they'll work with me to get qts. Therefore i cant do another placement though it hasn't been offered anyway. Is the best route to quit the course? or wait for the never arriving guidance which will probably say to do another placement that I cannot do. Very very confusing. Are you not barred from retraining for a few years if you fail?

8. This is not true. You can get funding for a second try at a PGCE; normal funding rules do not apply to a PGCE.

I failed a PGCE (though, I suppose, technically, I withdrew due to medical reasons- but I was not going to meet the standards) and I am going back for a second chance this year. There are institutions that are willing to give you a second chance, thank goodness.

9. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

If you did not pass the placement part then the government will pay you £1300 a month while you do the placement again September to December and pay your provider £700 to supervise you.
    You can then start work in January. It’s not great. But it’s better than nothing.

10. CocoaChannel

CocoaChannel New commenter

Hi Semm, sorry to hear you’re having a few issues. I’m starting a SCITT this September.

Tell me not to be nosey, but could I ask a couple of things, please? I thought the PGCE was awarded at the successful completion of the first year, i.e. the SCITT?

So had you completed the first year and were on the NQT phase?

My application’s been a big rush as I was planning to apply in 2021. I’ve just been accepted and am doing an SKE course. I’m going to ask for contact details of current SCITT trainees with my provider.

In the meantime, any tips for preparing for and doing the SCITT?

11. Hi

Does anyone know of past students who were failed or did not pass their primary pgce during 2011 - 2013 at the Ioe?

Please get on touch.

Many thanks

12. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

The PGCE is the academic part; QTS is the teaching part. You need QTS to teach in a maintained school.

agathamorse likes this.