1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you still lock the bowl?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by grumbleweed, Jun 5, 2020.

1. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

The cake mix bowl, not any other kind!

When we were kids we used to fight over who got to lick the bowl, spoon etc. Mum was a talented and frequent cake baker so there was always one on the go . I've just made a chocolate cake, and I couldn't resist. I got it all to myself.

Is it gross and time I grew up?

Or are you with me on this?

2. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I've just made 3 lemon sponges and scraped the bowl out with my finger and licked the spoon.
    As it only right and proper.

Don't you wish you could edit thread titles?

maggie m, Laphroig, Jamvic and 7 others like this.
  3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The age old playground joke springs readily to mind:

"Mummy mummy mummy can I lick the bowl?"
    "No, pull the chain like everyone else."

4. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

In the days before food mixers, you could lick the spoon, too. Licking the beaters takes much more lingual maneuvering, and can be painful.

5. jellycowfish

jellycowfish Occasional commenter

I made a very decadent, rich chocolate cake for a Christmas party last year - not something I would normally eat. When transferring it into the cake tins, I got some on my finger and licked it off - fatal. I HAD to lick the bowl, spoon, mixer (and may even have 'accidentally' not put all the mix into the tins) :rolleyes:

Jamvic likes this.
  6. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

Much safer to lick the bowl now, with eggs free from salmonella... as long as they've got the red lion stamp.

Jamvic likes this.
  7. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Especially if they're still spinning.

Jamvic, nomad, butties and 1 other person like this.
  8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I did try, but my kids have always pilfered the shrapnel for sweets, amazing how they get round anything!

upload_2020-6-5_11-23-39.jpeg

Dunteachin likes this.
  9. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Or egg free cake in my case otherwise the intolerance would have me on the other bowl for some time... :eek::oops::(;)

CheeseMongler likes this.
  10. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

In my family it was called licking out. The faint taste of baking powder gave it that certain je ne sais quoi, I think.

11. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

It was the savour and smell of mixed spices in the cake mix that did it for me.

needabreak, jellycowfish and maggie m like this.
  12. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

I remember a cookery lesson at school when the teacher caught my friend running her finger round the bowl. She screeched "What would your mother say?" My friends response was " leave some for your brother"