1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you say this?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tartetatin, Jun 15, 2011.

1. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Hello [​IMG] Just reading the feedback report for a school project recently completed by my daughter.
    The teacher has written that it was 'well layed out'.
    Do correct me if I'm havering, but that looks really wrong to me. Shouldn't it be 'laid out?'
    Thank you, clever tessers [​IMG]

2. It should be 'laid'. I've just checked on wiki answers in case there was an American spelling and I was amused to see that 'layed' only refers to depositing eggs!

3. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Thanks for your reply!

4. I suppose 'layed out' might refer to the lay-out of something where that is used as a (semi-) technical term, in which case I can see the benefit of distinguishing between the two. Either way, wherever there's ambiguity I always assume that the person did it deliberately, mostly for my own sanity...

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

6. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

I have always used 'layed out' when referring to DTP...

7. What if the teacher had just made a silly mistake? Perhaps from exhaustion at writing 30 reports? would you have complained?? Is that really worth posting on here?

8. *falls about laughing
    30 reports? walk in the park, try 16x 30...even then, I'm not sure exhausting is the correct term. dull, possibly, exhausting? no.

And we may well make mistakes in report writing, but that's why they should be proof-read. No excuse for errors in reports to parents.

I too am pleased by learning that 'layed out' may not be incorrect. I'd still use 'laid out' mind...

9. My Oxford dictionary circa 1940 has no entry for "laid". It had lade

My Oxford dictionary from 1940 has no direct entry for "laid". Under that it say see "lay".
    The definition for "lade" is put cargo on a boat. The entry for "lay" is very long, including prostrate, to be buried in a specific place, recumbent posture, produce egg, put down, place or apply, present ( as in a bill), impose, set a foundation, put away.... etc. So the provenance of lay is somewhat lengthier than laid.

10. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Where did I mention complaining to the teacher?! Of course I won't. I simply posted a polite question, out of curiosity, to ask whether or not the spelling of something looked strange.
    Thanks very much for your responses everyone x

11. Talking about complaining to the teacher, or reports going out with mistakes to parents, could somebody please tell me about the laws of practise and practice?
    It wasn't in a report I'd written myself, but I have received a complaint from a parent of a pupil in my form class that some of her teachers didn't know the difference...and I have to admit, that since I proof read it for mistakes, I obviously don't either!
    Thanks in advance!

12. acertainsomething

acertainsomething Occasional commenter

16 x 30 High school cut and pastes? Now that is a walk in the park.

13. practise is the verb (to practise the piano every day) and practice is the noun (she hated going to piano practice). Think of advice and advise...it's the same rule.

14. Practise is a verb - e.g. going to practise until perfect
    Practice is a noun- e.g. going to football practice

15. There's thread on Opinion about that...

16. catmother

catmother Star commenter

First one is a verb,second one is a noun?

17. You should practise your spelling skills. The practice will do you good.

18. You are absolutely right! I'll copy that out 100 times to be sure I remember!

Thank you for your replies! I knew tessers would sort me out!

19. I'm deicing the car. I'm icing the cake.
    Sorry - just had to message you with that message.
    [​IMG]