1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you return to work after maternity leave full time before the summer holidays and then start part time contract in Sept?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Middlemarch, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Yes - what she will be asking for is a part-time contract from September and she must be sure to make this clear in her request for part-time.
    Remember that if the request is granted, it will be a new, permanent contract.

2. You can also return on the first day of the summer holidays if you wish, I did. Good luck anyway.

3. Many thanks to you both for your replies. This is what I thought. Does anyone know anywhere where this is written down that this is an entitlement and not just by the good grace of the school?

4. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

There is no entitlement. The entitlement is only to request the part-time agreement and to set out your request with such details.
    But equally, your wife's school would have to give a good reason to refuse it - and it wouldn't be a good enough reason to say 'we don't want to pay her over the summer'
    www.tesfaq.co.uk/flexibleworking

5. Hi there,

Did you get any further with this? I am in exactly the same position and the headteacher has already said he would not be willing to pay me full time for June/July and the holidays ahead of my FW request starting in Sept. Something on paper would definitely help!

6. atwoodfan

atwoodfan New commenter

I think the two matters can and should be looked at separately, but I can't find any documentation which indicates this. The school would have to give reasons why your flexible working request could not start on the date requested but would need to start on date X instead, I think. Good luck!