1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you report a school for bad practice?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by msfab, Feb 24, 2011.

1. The school I am currently working in is creating a new ethos that I cannot agree with and I am certain is not entirely legal. They are creating sink groups at GCSE for all students expected to get less than a grade c where essentially the kids can do what ever they want with a TA 'babysitting' them. Class sizes for other groups are frequently over 30. TAs are no longer assisting the teacher or student but acting as teachers. Cover supervisors are being employed with full time tables for the year and given classes to teach. WHen teachers leave (which large numbers are, the turnover is becoming ridiculous) they are not being replaced but TA or CS will be given their classes. There are numerous unqualified teachers that are being given posts instead of qualifed staff. HoD do not necessarily teach the subjects that they are Heads of (core subjects Maths and English are included here). PPA for qualified staff is less than minimal and unions claim that they are unable to do anything. I hope to be leaving pretty soon as I am so shocked by this general ethos and seemingly belief that this is ok - particularly where they seem to be effectively 'giving up' on some of the kids.
    Firstly, is any of this actually legal? And secondly, who can/ should I report the school to in regards to their attitude towards the kids and their learning?

2. The school I am currently working in is creating a new ethos that I cannot agree with and I am certain is not entirely legal. They are creating sink groups at GCSE for all students expected to get less than a grade c where essentially the kids can do what ever they want with a TA 'babysitting' them. Class sizes for other groups are frequently over 30. TAs are no longer assisting the teacher or student but acting as teachers. Cover supervisors are being employed with full time tables for the year and given classes to teach. WHen teachers leave (which large numbers are, the turnover is becoming ridiculous) they are not being replaced but TA or CS will be given their classes. There are numerous unqualified teachers that are being given posts instead of qualifed staff. HoD do not necessarily teach the subjects that they are Heads of (core subjects Maths and English are included here). PPA for qualified staff is less than minimal and unions claim that they are unable to do anything. I hope to be leaving pretty soon as I am so shocked by this general ethos and seemingly belief that this is ok - particularly where they seem to be effectively 'giving up' on some of the kids.
    Firstly, is any of this actually legal? And secondly, who can/ should I report the school to in regards to their attitude towards the kids and their learning?

3. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Can't believe that - when you say unions, what do you mean, school rep? school reps ie all of them? Go to oyur local divisional office, demand their support. The NUT will certainly give it.
    Approach your staff governor, have them raise the issue at a governor's meeting.