1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you recommend a handwriting scheme please?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Fredbear, May 23, 2007.

1. Hi Jojo

At last a like minded person! Could do with some more ideas to encourage my colleagues to give this approach more consideration if you have them. Thanks

2. seekingstars

seekingstars New commenter

Hi we also use the Spectrum as is dyslexia friendly...have recently updated it. It is now published by Collins and is identical except it has been bought into line with letters and sounds.

3. garem

garem New commenter

You might find this site useful.
    www.cursivewriting.org
    There are lots of fonts to choose from so you might find one to suit your school's handwriting scheme. We use it in school on the IWB and use the font to produce homework sheets, worksheets and newsletters.
    I hope this helps.

4. Hey there!
    Know you posted this ages ago but am so interested in what you did with your handwriting!
    Big issues with it at my school. Can you send me some info? Would really appreciate it.

5. I contacted Carol at www.cursivewriting.org and she has been amazing. She has designed two fonts for me - one for the joined handwriting style that I have found excellent to teach and re-teach handwriting and one for a simple print style.
    I still advocate teaching print at first as I suggest that this is most suitable for the youngest learners and fits in well with phonics teaching.
    We're in the process of constructing a website dedicated to handwriting and this will have lots of free materials, including the 'patter' for teaching joined handwriting and for teaching print.
    It also has a video clip with a demonstration - and will have more later on.
    We're not really ready to 'launch' the website per se as it is still early days and in construction - but if anyone would like the free 'patter' documents ahead of time, please email me at:
    debbie@phonicsinternational.com

6. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

This might sound like a very trival request, but when you launch this website please could you include some really clear video clips of a child writing with good positioning of the fingers, hand, wrist, lower arm, elbow, upper arm body, feet etc please from all angles --- with some do's and don'ts.
    Also please some good tips on how to correct postitioning issues would be good ...... e.g. with my daughter I have succeeded in improving the pencil grip (50% of the time) and she has stopped hooking her hand round in towards herself, but I can see that she does not always have her hand below the line she is writing on. I can see this easily, but I don't know which bit of her needs to be in a different position to correct this.
    The more I look around me, the more horrible positions I see people using to write - both adults, teenagers and children. I can write like lightning and it pains me to see people spending hours writing very little because the mechanics are so wrong.

7. I am totally sympathetic to your requests.
    I am urging schools to conduct a survey of the reality regarding pupil posture, slant of paper, pencil-hold, whether children are hooking their wrists around to write 'above' their words rather than 'beneath' - and to look closely at desk height and so on.
    There is a general tendency for these issues to have been lost somewhere along the line - in addition to the understanding that virtually all children can write well with joined handwriting when teacher understanding is there - with vigilance and high expectations.
    The situation is not helped by children sitting in grouped tables even when the focus of the teaching is at the front of the class or work is on the board.

8. You're right that once you start to truly 'look around', this is when it hits home as to how bad the situation is quite commonly.

9. If a desk or table is too high, this might lead to a child having to lift up his or her elbow to an unnatural height which inevitably leads to either the wrist hooked right around because of the elbow position or the paper being slanted far too much until its almost horizonal instead of vertical with a slight slant.
    I also think that failing to spot that children are writing from 'above' at the earliest stages of learning to write means that bad habits set in.
    It could well be that writing on mini-whiteboards is also leading to children writing by holding their pens sort of perpendicular rather than resting their arms on the boards.
    If everyone could join in and contribute their observations in their classes in an open way, it might help to draw attention to these things.
    One school told me about them conducting a survey around their school having heard me talk about the need - and they identified six specific 'holds' and 'positions' amongst their children. That school is now aware of this and determined to address the situation.
    Until schools are fully aware of these things happening, they can't address them.

10. Hi there, if you still have a copy of the sheet with letter formations and groups, would you be so kind as to send me a copy. I've just taken over as literacy co-ordinator and need to implement a handwriting scheme to be used across the school.
    Many thanks!
    Katy
    k.mercer@st-barts.lancs.sch.uk

11. Hi Please can I get a copy too we are looking at different programs to try too.

hangerbluearmy@aol.com

Tracy x

12. If anyone is interested, the update of my postings above is that the website that was being planned is now constructed. It includes free patter for print and joined, a guidance video and free alphabet and print and joined handwriting resources.

www.debbiehepplewhitehandwriting.com

13. Could you tell me which handwriting scheme you use as I agree its best started at reception!

14. I have used it in sfa which is success for all and all letters start and end on the line and the writing in the school was excellent!

15. Penpals is great! Its interactive has video of warm ups and even homework sheets you can print out.