1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you recommend a handwriting scheme please?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Fredbear, May 23, 2007.

1. jojoincharge

jojoincharge New commenter

the best thing to do is to teach adding flciks to letters at Rec and then go for joined handwriting from then onwards. Handwriting can be taught on a daily basis in a context with letters and sounds phonic workat KS1, spelling work at KS2. If handwriting is taught separately, the children do not apply skills across all of their writing. ever thought of teaching the properties of letters - eg sort and classify letters for their properties: ( good for maths unit on data handling!)
    • those that h ve descenders
    • those that have ascenders
    • those that start in the middle
    • those that you start writing at the top
    • those do do not join at all
    • those that are best left unjoined ( letters that finsih with a leftward stroke)
    • etc etc
    once children understand that apart from a 'd' and an 'e', all letters start at the top, it is easy to know where to take the pencil where writing the next letter - easy for joining- dont need to remember horizontal, diagonal storkes etc
    email me if you are interested in more - handwriting was turned around in our school within a term and was identied as a strength by Ofsted

2. Jojo, am really interested in finding out more about how you turned handwriting around... how do I email you!? Am i daft, I just don't understand this new site!

3. jojoincharge

jojoincharge New commenter

not your fault NQT - give me yr email address and i will forward stuff to you!

4. Wonderwoman1

Wonderwoman1 New commenter

5. I really don't like Nelson - my old school used the workbooks and I found it a nightmare to work with.
    Am also another rebel who just decided I was NOT going to write the way the school was trying to teach me while in primary myself!

6. Could I have a copy too, please?

Thank you!

ciarina_2003@yahoo.co.uk

7. I know this link is very old but just googled handwriting and this link came up. Is it possible for you to email me your handwriting info too please? Many thanks.
    paulette2js@tiscali.co.uk

8. I have just invested in the KBER package, which includes a CD rom to put the font onto the pc so you can use the same font for labels, producing practise sheets, familiarising the children with cursive etc.
    I introduced this as a scheme last week, the advantage being that we already teach cursive, from y2, but previously didn't have sheets to support this and teachers were having to write in thirty handwriting books to provide exemplars.
    I too think that cursive should be introduced in Early Years, otherwise the children struggle in KS1 having to unlearn. In EY they are taught that most letters start at the top, now they come to Y2 and they have to learn to start all their letters on the line. Rec teacher thinks it is too difficult but has said she will try this year?! I have seen it in a school who introduced cursive from nursery and reported a vast improvement in handwriting by the time the first cohort reached Y3.

9. Hi,
    I know this thread is a little old but would it be possible to email the information about how you tackled handwriting. It's on my hit list for September! Thanks xxx

10. I promote strongly joined handwriting which starts on the line and is all joined - but not in reception.
    I still think it is better to start off with simple print.
    Synthetic phonics should include handwriting as the third core skill (blending, segmenting and handwriting). But it is actually helpful for teaching children how to read and spell to keep letters separate at first.
    If people aren't careful, they will have swathes of children who write in joined writing but haven't been taught how to write in print!
    In any event, once you start teaching joined writing, it does only take a term to sort it out at whatever age. I suggest you don't need any fancy programme to do it with either.
    Engage the children in which are the two joins - diagonal to half height and washing line. Start with practising the c and then the other curly c letters until children are competent. Then teach the other letters in groups until the children are competent at those (and they'll all get neat).
    Then, engage the children with how the letters join up from letter to letter so that they are actually thinking whether they need a diagonal join or a washing line join. Start with a few simple words to practise.
    After a length of time, insist from then on that all writing is joined and not just handwriting practice sessions.
    It works like a dream.

11. http://www.phonicsinternational.com/Joined%20Handwriting.pdf
    I forgot to suggest that simple lined exercise books are great for the practice - and practice daily once you decide to get to grips with handwriting.
    I don't bother with all the half lines etc. because children have to judge the sizes between writing lines for themselves. Too many lines are very fiddly-faddly.
    Also, once the children are asked to join all their letters, get them to choose a favourite poem to translate the print into joined writing beautifully. They'll do it!
    In this way, they can focus for a while on writing fluency and how to be consistently neat without having to think about content and spelling.

12. Hi,
    I know your post on TES about handwriting was a while ago but as literacy coordinator at my school I am trying to find a scheme where all the letters join and was interested in what you posted about your school having handwriting as an Ofsted strength that you had turned around as a school.....
    Anybody else out there that could help? Have heard the Spectrum scheme could be helpful but can't find any resourcing other than books- a computer supported one might be good- this task is proving more difficult than I imagined!

13. I know some time has passed since you posted this on TES but wondered if you still had this sheet
    if so could you e mail it adeline_brack@hotmail.com many thanks

14. I am a Lit co-ordinator and would really appreciate someone giving me some advice about a handwriting scheme they use and know is successful. I have checked out Penpals, but feel that Year5/6 is not as structured as it is further down the school. I guess the argument being that they should have learnt all the joins by then, but the tasks seem as though they would take an hour to do, when we only have 20minutes a week for handwriting.
    klicf@hotmail.com
    Thank you.

15. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I would do 5 minutes a day rather than 20 mins in one session.
    You don't need a commercial scheme just a style of writing adopted throughout the school our style is based on the DHs handwriting and works very well.
    I wouldn't teach joining in reception (would probably wait until summer term Y1 or Autumn Y2) but teach a style with an exit stroke.[​IMG] this is an example of a 6 year old boy's writing

16. Hello there - I'm not sure how well equipped your school is but we have been using i pads to teach handwriting. abcjoinedup is an app that has been developed by a UK literacy coordinator. There is an article here about it in our local guardian . If you need any further support I am sure Mary will be happy to help mcoen@suttonlea.org .

17. GGT

GGT

There's another new scheme called Letter-join. It's in quite a lot of schools now and has been really successful. It's great for IWB and there are printouts for all the letters in different sizes. (There are also pre-cursive patterns which are good fun). There's a free 30 day trial as well and I recomend having a look.

18. Hi JoJo. Can I please have a copy too? My email is e_emberton@yahoo.co.uk

19. I know this message was posted quite a while ago but I wondered if any of you could forward me some suggestions.
    deemckenna2@gmail.com.
    Thanks in advance