1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you recommend a handwriting scheme please?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Fredbear, May 23, 2007.

1. We have quite a debate going on within the LEA and in school as to what is the best way to tackle children's handwriting. Have previously used Spectrum which is more cursive than some of the schemes I've seen, but this is not consistent throughout the school.
    I believe there is also a cursive/non-cursive debate and issues with print to joined up.
    I am personally not very keen on enforcing a strict handwriting code as had a bad experience when I was at school and never wrote like I was told again.
    I would like to know what others think and what schemes work successfully in your schools.
    Thanks...

2. We have quite a debate going on within the LEA and in school as to what is the best way to tackle children's handwriting. Have previously used Spectrum which is more cursive than some of the schemes I've seen, but this is not consistent throughout the school.
    I believe there is also a cursive/non-cursive debate and issues with print to joined up.
    I am personally not very keen on enforcing a strict handwriting code as had a bad experience when I was at school and never wrote like I was told again.
    I would like to know what others think and what schemes work successfully in your schools.
    Thanks...

3. we use the dyslexia institute recommended handwriting

4. My school uses Nelson.

5. We have just bought penpals but I had issues with non-cursive nature in early years. My KS1 colleagues were not in favour of a cursive scheme from the beginning as they argue it is harder for kids to learn and recognise. I argued that evidence is that it is better for all kids to have one but was voted down.

6. Anymore suggestions? Still not sure.

7. We also use Nelson. Seems to work relativrly well. The children begin joined up writing in Year 2.

8. I have been recommended this one. We are going to introduce cursive whole school from September and I too am looking into which scheme.

http://www.kber.co.uk

9. We are just changing from Nelson to cursive, in line with the advice from the dyslexia institute. After years of teaching the Nelson scheme I'm happy to give something else a try (and wolfblass was very persuasive about cursive writing on an earlier thread!)

10. Can I ask robertsclark how exactly you are going to make the change? Is it a matter of saying to staff right from Sept we are going to do this? Do we need to think about timetabling handwriting practice into the week, as it isn't currently?

11. The new scheme has been coming up through the school. I'm in Y3 and didn't want to confuse them by introducing a new scheme when they'd already learned one so next year will be the first group who have learned cursive. I do 2 10-minute handwriting sessions a week plus a group a day do handwriting practice during guided reading for the first term.

12. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

I have to admit to being a real convert to teaching fully cursive from the outset.

I have worked in 2 schools where this is done, and the handwriting by the end of KS1 is far, far superior. In my current Y3-4 class where they have been taught Nelson, their (normal) handwriting is much worse than the Y1 class where I do PPA cover.

It makes sense really. Fully cursive teaches that all letters start and end on the line. Haven't counted how many rules there are to learn in Nelson. There is plenty of space for bad habits of develop, that's for sure.

13. Sorry for all the questions but what exactly do you follow then? What do you give teachers to ensure they know what they are doing?

14. we started the dyslexia institute recommended handwriting in sept. all the children changed to it from reception up to year 6. we do 10 - 15 minutes everyday. it has made a huge improvement to our childrens handwriting but the older oned do need regular practise as they soon fall back into bad habits.

15. Thanks wolfbass - so is that the CD you use?

16. didn't know there was a cd, we were just given a sheet with the letter formations and groups on it. i can email it you if you'd like :O)

17. you have mail :O)

18. Hi,
    just searching online for dyslexia institute recommended handwriting and this thread came up, I notice that you have emailed the suggested letter groups to somebody else, any chance you can send a copy to me?! Can't find it anywhere online!

Would be grateful, thanks!