1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you recommend a boo for a reluctant adult reader

Discussion in 'Book club' started by richfruitcake, Jun 26, 2011.

1. richfruitcake

richfruitcake New commenter

I am off for 2 weeks in the sun in August. I love to laze on the beach with a book but my partner gets bored as he does not read. The teacher in me would love to introduce him to the world of books. Can anyone recommend anything that might get him reading. He is in his late forties and has an interest in the mlitary. I wondered about Andy McNab or Chris Ryan but as it's not the sort of thing I would read I am unsure. Any ideas?

2. What about a biography of someone he likes or admires? Or what about history? I know a few men who will read the Lee Child type book, when they haven't bothered with anything else. My husband loves Matt Hilton, who works in a similar genre.

3. richfruitcake

richfruitcake New commenter

Thank you. I will look around the charity shops or failing that route order through Amazon. I have checked them out there. Perhaps I will get a selection a biography, a Lee Child and a Matt Hilton.

4. Was going to say Harris and then there he was, second reply! Recently finished (and loved) Imperium followed by Lustrum. The Ghost is also a riveting one, with a former British PM who is not completely unlike Blair.

5. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I don't think it's the teacher in you. I think it's the booklover in you. Mr C doesn't read at all, and I find it really frustrating, as I think he's missing out on so much.
    A lot of men who consider themselves non-readers, just don't like fiction. Mr C will read travel books - mostly guidebooks, but also snippets of Bill Bryson. Maybe your partner would read non-fiction military books as that's his area of interest.
    There might be something here that would appeal to him:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Military-History-Books/b/ref=amb_link_44315465_12?ie=UTF8&node=271411&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=left-1&pf_rd_r=1TVY2WHBHNE3JHCBPESE&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=234780327&pf_rd_i=65
    The only fiction book that Mr C says he has ever read the whole way through was one by Carl Hiasson.

6. Although I'm not really into anything military myself, I recently read Redcoat by Richard Holmes, which is about the British soldier from 1750 to 1870ish, and enjoyed it.
    Although it's good history he's got a chatty style and it's full of anecdote. I know he's written a similar book about 1st World War soldiers called Tommy.
    Some of my friends, who aren't readers, read a book about Apache helicopters recently that they all enjoyed. I think, looking at Amazon, that it was Apache by Ed Macy (which is only £0.01 plus £2.80 P&P I also noticed).

7. Underachiever

Underachiever New commenter

Spotting Jurrasic Park on the telly last night reminded me of Michael Crichton. Not the most literary writer, but entertaining.
    If it's non-fiction what about Touching the Void by Joe Simpson? I'm not in the least bit interested in climbing, but I was completely transfixed by this book; I just could not stop reading it. When I put it down to sleep/eat/work I had to remind myself that I wasn't actually leaving him on that ice-shelf to die and that he did survive - hence the book!

8. Streetcleaner

Streetcleaner New commenter

If he's interested in a military history book, then John Keegan might be worth looking into. I'm a military history layman and found Keegan's 'The American Civil War' a gripping read, much more straightforward and accessible than the other books I've read on the same topic, and also more exciting.

I've found that when someone is new to reading books, starting them off with nonfiction will often yield better results than handing them a novel. Avid readers often forget that they are experienced in creating the 'theatre of the mind' that is needed to enjoy fiction. Nonfiction is easier on new readers because they're being given lots of facts that keep them interested even if their imagination isn't yet as vivid as it needs to be.

9. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time will def grab his attention
    Similarly To Kill a Mocking Bird will
    neither is particularly long but both appeal to everyone