1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

can you put a live dog in a show???

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by chocoholic2007, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Hi
    I was wondering if anyone has ever done a performance with a live dog?? I am looking at a few options for next years performances, but have heard of some people using a real dog in the show rather than the poor stuffed dog being thrown accross stage.
    I would like to know the following;
    Has anyone ever used a real dog in a production?
    what health and safety implications did this incur?
    does anyone have any advice??
    I hope people can help I think it would be great, but I am aware that there are several things to consider...... where it would be during the rest of the performance, etc toileting and other things (children with alergies)..... I just would like some advice before making any other decisions. (just for the record it would be a trained dog, not some rowdy pet)
    Cheers............[​IMG]

2. Yes you can.
    Would you want to? See here.

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I have several times. I used my old labrador who is a retired guide dog, so trustworthy and well trained. I appointed a couple of students as dog chaperones who had to walk her before the performances and look after her once off stage. The kids loved it and it definitely adds something to a performance.
    Obviously I wouldn't use a dog that could be unpredicatable or risk biting someone or snapping at them....

4. Hi DaisysLot!
    thanks for your input, I am hoping to use my 2 dogs, they are only young (less than a year on show day), but I am training them to do heelwork etc so hopefully they will be fine with crowds, I intend to have them in very busy places as I personally don't want to have 2 grouchy dogs.
    I wanted to make sure that the performance would be remembered. I was going to use one dog one night and the other the next and alternate them.
    I would be very greatful for any advice about health and safety that you may have, who did you have to ask and how difficult was it to organise, I will have asst. director and students to help with regards to back stage etc. We have seperate dressing rooms and corridors etc - the only thing I need to practice with them would be the ahhhh factor when the audience first see them. I will only have them on leads on the stage. and lots of treats for the kids to feed them on stage to keep focus.
    thanks for the positivity

5. DaisysLot

I didn't 'ask' anyone, but I suppose you should run it past your head. You can tangle yourself in health and safety if you want to, but I made sure the dog was looked after and not running amuck back stage and beyond that simply risk assessed it as of a temprement that was suitable for my purposes and not a danger to students.
    The kids did have lots of treats back stage for her - Avoid green ones - They fed her the whole bag and her poo was green for a week afterwards :p

6. ahh thanks for the advice
    so to summise;
    clear with head,
    ensure dog is great with kids and not frightened on stage
    AVOID GREEN treats............
    Awesome - now all I have to do is ensure I can do the musical and ensure the dogs are trained and unphased by the audience..... hmmmmmm I suppose I can always pull them out if the run through does not go so well........
    Cheers[​IMG]

7. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

I must claim ignorance on this issue but wouldn't the following Regluations apply?
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Geo5/15-16/38

8. DaisysLot

Possibly. I'm law breaker and a risk taker :p

9. Crowbob

Bad, daisy! I don't think your pet rock needs permission or registration. Can it do any tricks?

10. ahh man
    just read it, but the exclusion is animals trained for sport etc, so although they are pets, they will be doing competition heelwork, so hopefully it shouldnt apply as they are not entertaining animals i think. otherwise you shouldnt really have crufts etc? (oooh another can of worms)
    I like Daisyslot's idea - rebel!!!!

Thanks for your thoughts on this, but as I dont train or own performing animals, I didnt even think of looking at that act,
    Will bear it in mind though

11. Sir Cumference

Sir Cumference New commenter

12. Crowbob

As I said, really not my area so I can't give fully informed advice but it is certainly not worth taking the risk (a £1000 fine).
    <u> I would suggest that you contact the LA</u>, they are the people from whom registration is required, and ask whether your plans are ok. They are in a much better place to advise on this issue. They may say "sure, no problem" but it is worth checking.