1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you progress through pay scale while on supply?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by laur_a_01, Nov 12, 2015.

1. laur_a_01

laur_a_01 New commenter

I am currently an NQT (feeling rather tired at the moment as I'm sure many of us are). I work full time in a primary school and I am on a one year temporary contract and whether or not I get kept on 'depends on budget' next year (but really I'm sure it depends on how I get on this year and whether I do a good job or not).

I have two young children, the youngest having just turned 1 and my OH works away a month at a time. It is tough and very tiring as I'm sure you can imagine. But I knew I needed to get through my NQT year working full time as I didn't want to drag it over two years. I was very fortunate to land myself a job. Many other of the trainees didn't manage to, so I do consider myself lucky.

I am expecting that come next year I will want to go part time (I would now if I could ha). The only worry I have is putting my 'progression' at a standstill. For the amount of hours we work, starting on the bottom of the payscale means that I probably earn little more than minimum wage. Knowing however, that providing we meet the conditions of the schools pay policy pay can potentially increase each year, therefore there would come a point where I would be earning more of a decent wage.

My dilemma is whether going part time would stop this progression. I guess if I had a job share or a part time contract in a school I could still progress up the payscale. But in the case of supply teaching.....How does it work? I am keen to know.

I need a better work life balance. I need to spend more time with my children. I feel bad that their daddy is away for a whole month and they are in childcare from 7.30am - 6pm every day while he is away. And when daddy is home....mummy works even more so they see even less of me.

I love being a teacher, but being only an NQT finding the work: life balance pretty tricky given my situation.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Can you progress through the pay scale on supply ? - no is the answer to that one.

3. laur_a_01

laur_a_01 New commenter

ok thank you :) I tried to find out online and couldnt!

4. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

On supply, you are more likely to regress down the pay ladder.

5. sebedina

sebedina Occasional commenter

Whatever you decide to do, I can honestly say that the time you spend with your young family is the most important thing you can do.

You are building memories and building a family which is the most important thing you can do. In my opinion, You won't have the horrible guilt and sleepless night worrying about them all the while juggling schemes of learning or behaviour of certain children in school.

Believe me you will be on the road to a nervous breakdown.... I have read so many posts of women trying to juggle and not cope...

All the best with whatever decision you make.

snowyhead likes this.
  6. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Remember, there is no pay scale any more so even non-supply teachers have no guarantee of 'progression'.

On supply though, it's just 'supply and demand' (no pun). Schools pay about £250 a day, less if they can get it, to an agency. The agency takes the biggest slice it can and pays the teacher as little as they can get away with.

If they can they'll supply you as a "cover supervisor" instead - that means they can undercut their competition and charge the school a few quid less. It'll mean they'll want to pay you something close to minimum wage for the day.

7. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Hi. I think if you complete induction year or whatever's it's called that would be a good aim for the year. It gives you QTS status for the future.

As others have said pay progression is pie in the sky for many people but your school might be an honourable exception. Assume it won't happen.

When I was in a similar situation many years ago I found I had to choose between work and children. You can make a different decision from year to year to year.

You might have a better chance of part time work in a primary school, I don't know.

As others on the Supply forum have said supply work is poorly paid and very uncertain (£110 times 195 days - but some agencies pay less). The one day I was offered work this year I was ill.

You need to take some time to decide - do you want uncertainty day to day? Do you want to work even if you end up out of pocket after childcare expenses? Could you manage without working and enjoy the time with your children? (Trust me, the time goes faster than you could imagine especially once they start school).

Good luck with your NQT year and whatever you decide for next year.

8. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

As @PaulDG has said already: progression through pay scales is no longer guaranteed for ANYONE employed as a teacher in England and Wales. There is a minima and maxima for teachers without management/leadership responsibility. Pay portability ended in September 2013 - head teachers are free to offer whatever they like within the minima and maxima range and in line with their school's pay policy.

@Deirds new teachers are awarded QTS on the satisfactory completion of initial teacher training (school or university based), which includes taking skills tests in maths and English. Gaining QTS is a pre-requisite of starting induction in an appropriate educational establishment in England and Wales, therefore the OP must already have QTS.

9. supplybychoice

supplybychoice New commenter

In the good old days you could do it but not anymore unfortunately.

10. is2

is2 Occasional commenter

No. That is why supply teachers who have never done anything but supply and have built up a long reputation with a school are one of the two categories getting hired at the moment. They are cheap and have a long association. Those with lots of experience as full time bona-fide teachers are being discriminated against at the moment for being too expensive and having limited association with schools. Victim of ones own good experience.

11. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

I don't agree entirely with what has been said, you can, as I have done argue that the years you worked as supply were years in service as a teacher and thus you can progress. True, head teachers no longer have to award pay progression at all, but this is still not the norm and most schools are still paying to scale as before and new teachers are progressing up the scale.
    The thing is, you now have to negotiate your own deal.
    If you're working as a supply, you will spend less time in school but the work is not guaranteed and there is no holiday pay, but if you are not the sole bread winner, your family needs you more than they need the things money can buy. The profession needs new teachers, so in order to retain their services, it is expedient to treat them as professionals.
    If you're going with agencies, read all the other posts in this forum, so that you don't fall foul of the many pitfalls that supply teaching exposes you to.

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

13. educ80

educ80 Occasional commenter

It really depends on what you mean by "supply". Strange opener I know but I'll explain.
    In order to approach your agency to try and argue incremental pay rises you first need to complete your induction. This can be done on long term supply but you can only do this in one term blocks (as a minimum) rather than adding up weeks.
    Once you have done this then you are "eligible" to try and progress.
    Most agencies will admittedly try and drive down your wage but this is where you have to stay firm and ask for pay in line with MPS. Easier said than done I admit but if you are a good teacher then you will find your value.
    LAs often contact me as I work as a manager for a Supply agency, to ask how much work teachers have done with my agency so that they can ascertain the correct pay scale for them when they find contracted work. As an agency we match the criteria set by our LAs, in my case undertaking teaching in 23 weeks of the academic year, to progress supply staff through the pay scales.
    I do, however, take exception to PaulDs comments about agencies charging £250 per day and taking the "biggest slice" as I have never come across that level of charge rate in 12 years of Education Recruitment. It is a wide and lazy perception that agencies are cruel, manipulative, avaricious and underhanded and charge the earth and more but it isn't true for all. If you don't like your agency then find a better one. If you can't, then do a better job then they do by going direct yourself.