1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you plant Yuccas and Dragon Plants in the garden?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Seadream, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

I have 2 that are too big to have in the house now and wondered whether I can plant them out in the garden. I live on the south coast and have a south facing back garden. I've tried googling to find out but the websites are very vague.

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Yukkas will grow in the garden. Not sure about Dragon plants.

3. Yes! Especially if you are South West, though my aunt has a yucca up in Wigan that has lasted for about 12 years!
    Be sure to plant the yucca in a permanent position as moving them can be fatal (wide root system)
    Dragon Plants (Madagascan Dragon Tree??) can also go outside but would be best grown in a pot and dragged back indoors over winter! It won't put up with lots of cold. It might last with a lot of sacking/cover, but I have never tried it.

4. anteater

anteater New commenter

We waged years of war on a yucca that was in the garden of this house when we moved in. Nasty, sharp, children-piercing things would appear a long way from where the stalk had been! So, yes, they do thrive in the garden, but only plant it out if you want it forever!

5. Seadream

Seadream New commenter

Based on these replies, perhaps I'll put them out but in pots so that they can be brought in if necessary and can be prevented from getting too excited and spreading into nasty child spearing things!