1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you move schools after your NQT year?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Alexbartlett, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Alexbartlett

Alexbartlett New commenter

Hi all,

I have a question that’s really worrying me about whether it is okay to move schools after the NQT year. There is nothing wrong with the school, in fact it is very supportive and I am enjoying my role at the moment. The reason I want to move is for personal reasons. I moved back home from London/Brighton so I could afford the training course and I don’t know anyone where I live. I am young and feel very lonely and isolated and I want to move to a town where my friends are so I can have a purpose to my life that isn’t just school. I do feel quite depressed and feel a move away would improve my mental health as well as expanding my teaching experience.
    So, would it be okay to leave after your first year? My heart is telling me to go but I am worried it won’t put me in good light professionally.

install likes this.
  2. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

Yes, it’s absolutely fine. I did this myself and no-one thought any the less of me for doing so. Besides, you have good reasons which future employers would respect.

Hope this helps and good luck!

bonxie, agathamorse and Alexbartlett like this.
  3. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

I changed schools after my NQT year (due to redundancy in my case) and my department's NQT did likewise last year. It happens as individuals situations can change. You just need to sell it positively to any new schools.

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Yes. Esp. for personal reasons (saw it happen several times during my career...)

agathamorse and Alexbartlett like this.
  5. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

No, once you join a school you stay for life.

6. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

You need to put a smiley face or something! Lol.

OP change your username. You can leave whenever you want ( with the usual notice period) even before passing, to complete your NQT year in another school.

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You could move at Christmas if you wanted to. Plenty of teachers move part way through their NQT year.

However if you are in a lovely school, I'd suggest staying there the year and take your time to look around for an equally lovely school in the new place. Start looking now and see how things go.

Cannot for the life of me see why you think it wouldn't look good professionally...it looks just fine.

SundaeTrifle, Pomza and Alexbartlett like this.
  8. install

install Star commenter

If you want to go then go ;)

ATfan likes this.
  9. Jessaki

Jessaki Occasional commenter

Of course you can. Don't worry about that. Many people did that in my school, for the same reasons as you. Just a heads up, so you are prepared....starting in a new school is like being an NQT all over again. So, just be prepared for next year in a new school to be challenging again. Of course you have a year's experience under your belt and all your materials and resources, but it can be daunting. I was in my school 6 years, then moved to a new school and I felt like an NQT, I changed schools at the end of that year too, so started another school and another year of the same! Now in my second year and it's such much less stressful.

Being near family and friends is obviously going to help and if your mental health is better, any challenges at your new school will be better dealt with by you. Good luck! But in the meantime, try to make friends with other NQTs or colleagues while you're there. I moved to other side of the country, far away from friends and family to do my NQT and I was miserable - the usually challenges of being an NQT, but also no friends. Eventually I did make friends with some other NQTs and people in my department - I ended up staying 6 years. The first term as a NQT is always the hardest - try to keep your spirits up and go out and meet other people, especially other NQTs, you'd be surprised how many feel the same as you and that in itself can just help!

SundaeTrifle, Alexbartlett and ATfan like this.
  10. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

I've known of some schools not wanting a candidate for having had 'too many' jobs. This wasn't that long ago. She worked at one school for 3 (?) years, then another for one year (she says she hated it, but thought she better serve out the year). She then had a temporary post for one year (approximately-I'd have to check with her to be certain- and I'm not doing that) covering a maternity post, then another fixed-term post. When she applied for a job(she says she had very good references from all the schools), one school said the reason they didn't interview her was that she'd had too many different jobs...
    However, she then got a job at a nice school (mine!) and as far as I know, she is still teaching. So obviously most schools were not that bothered. As I say, this wasn't THAT long ago.

Alexbartlett and ATfan like this.
  11. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

I’ve worked in many different places too (for various reasons) and that hasn’t stopped me. Au contraire, I would say that doing so has better prepared me for the realities of teaching and leadership when I had positions of responsibility. Also, I have been in my current workplace for nearly 5 years now.

OP, don’t worry! You are only referring to a theoretical job 2. As long as you’re not switching jobs every 5 minutes, you’ll be fine.

12. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Most schools would be happy that anybody has even bothered to apply (unless it’s PE, then there will be 100 applications of course...).

In many areas it is extremely difficult to recruit decent teachers and having an applicant move after their NQT year would have no bearing at all on the outcome of any application.

13. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

Standard advice was once to move after your NQT year to leave your mistakes behind you.

14. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

You are a teacher and it is just a job. You are not a slave.

The school would get rid of you in an instance if it wanted to. If you want to go, go. You just need to write a two line notice of resignation before the resignation date, saying you are handing in your notice and the last date of employment, which you can get from the bursar. Do not go into reasons. No one is interested except in passing for 15 seconds.

15. FriarLawrence

FriarLawrence Occasional commenter

It's absolutely fine.

I'd maybe advise digging in for 3+ years or so at your second school just to learn your craft a bit better (nobody's truly a great teacher until 2+ years in, IMO) - but loads of people move after year 1 and it's absolutely not an issue. Do what you want :)

16. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

My son qualified 3 years ago and has just started at his 3rd school - the first was a maternity cover and he moved from the second because he and his partner wanted to be nearer her place of work and he wanted a shorter commute. It's really not a problem - people do it all the time.

17. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

In the 80s working in London, it was the norm to leave a school asap, you were begged to stay! had money thrown at you, I jumped the equivalent of 4 points on the scale because I applied for other jobs! Left after 3 years because it was just not cost effective to live in London. Dropped a significant amount in salary leaving the London waiting, but was able to buy a house here int north.

18. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Yep- Just let your HT know that you are looking to move away from the area and will be looking at new roles and ask if you could use them as a reference. All education roles nowadays will contact your current/ most recent employer prior to interview, so if you try and do this without telling your HT, it would probably jeopardise your chances of getting the job and your working relationship with your current colleagues will most likely have broken down.