1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you make a living out of being a private tutor?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Lucyjane85, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Ian1983

Ian1983 Occasional commenter

Agree with the above. When I did my teacher training a few years ago, I very nearly dropped out in the November as well. In the end, I decided to tough it out and see it through and, with hindsight, I'm very glad that I did.

I've got no intention of ever being a full time school teacher, but being a qualified teacher as opposed to simply a graduate makes a world of difference to the demand for my services as a tutor.

doyle_gill and langteacher like this.
  2. -LittleMiss-

-LittleMiss- New commenter

Dont write it off just yet, as you get into more classes, you might enjoy it, there is nothing wrong with u doing private tutoring on the side. Also the type of school can make a huge difference ..u could hate 1 and love teaching in another

3. SUPER.SUPPLY

SUPER.SUPPLY Occasional commenter

SO, where do I begin to earn a crust as an ex primary teacher with 19 years experience. Strengths are French Spanish English and maths at primary level. I have extensive experience with SEN and would love 1:1 work but need to earn a wage at least the same as a full time teacher ?

as it iis, im enjoying the freedom but my money will run out. I'm not afraid to role up my sleeves and get stuck in.
    I know this thread started years ago, it would be great to speak to people just starting out or in their first year.
    question for reva13. Can I have my own led company set up first? Must I? I have no leads at the moment and can't see how I as a primary teacher can earn a living from it.

4. dafm88

dafm88 New commenter

I certainly hope so! I've just quit teaching after 14 years in order to do it!

5. gainly

gainly Star commenter

New posters are supposed to be pre-moderated so I've never understood how blatant ads for something which should be illegal are allowed. I have reported this so hopefully it will be removed

6. gainly

gainly Star commenter

It has now been removed. It was an ad for a dissertation writing company.

7. HunniB

HunniB New commenter

Dear All,

I appreciate the original post was made 8 years ago but the initial question is still a poignant one.

I think you can make a living but I think I enjoy too many expensive things. I’m a secondary English teacher but I have also taught in FE and I now run a department at a middle school.

I have been privately tutoring since my 3rd year of university and I think I charged my first 11+ client (15 years ago) £16.50 an hour. My rates are now £40 for GCSE, £45 for A Level and £35 for KS3.

When I was on maternity leave, I tried to make the private tuition self-sustainable as a full-time income for 2 years. My income was around £22k a year but my work hours were unsociable but rather enjoyment. At the time, I was working with an 11+ tutoring company who asked me teach children in classes of up to 10 across the South-East of England. It was a lot of travel but great for my career as it allowed me to eventually branch into middle school teaching and secure a Head of Dept. role.

Although I now teach and manage Year 5, 6, 7 & 8 during the day I also tutor an A Level Lit client, 2 x GCSE English Lit students and an 11+ client. For the latter, I travel to the outskirts of London so my rate is £45 per hour but I see the boy for two hours a week. I design a homework timetable and inform the family which books need to be ordered so it’s quiet a structured course.

I’ve just completed the paperwork for my tax return and for April 2019 - April 2020, my earnings have been £15k which I don’t think is bad considering I’m managing a Head of English role as well. I always told myself I would ditch the tutoring once I secured a middle management job but there’s something about private tuition which is unique. I’ve built up my resources on Google Drive and I’m now working with a London-based tuition company to launch a group tuition model using my plans.

I do think qualified teachers should keep a hand in the classroom as you’re aware of how government pressures can affect what you’re trying to achieve in the classroom.

I worry now about my teaching career and I think that I would continue GCSE and A Level tutoring as my students leave us in Year 8...and I may eventually return back to secondary teaching. So, for me, I now use private tuition to extend my own CPD. I love working with A Level Lit clients as well as A Level English Language students as it expands your repertoire .

Anyway, that’s my take on it and I wish you all luck with your tutoring careers.

Alby, DonutBoy99 and CloudsTES like this.