1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you make a living out of being a private tutor?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Lucyjane85, Oct 14, 2012.

1. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

Continue with the training and get your qualification

2. Ian1983

Ian1983 Occasional commenter

Agree with the above. When I did my teacher training a few years ago, I very nearly dropped out in the November as well. In the end, I decided to tough it out and see it through and, with hindsight, I'm very glad that I did.

I've got no intention of ever being a full time school teacher, but being a qualified teacher as opposed to simply a graduate makes a world of difference to the demand for my services as a tutor.

doyle_gill and langteacher like this.
  3. -LittleMiss-

-LittleMiss- New commenter

Dont write it off just yet, as you get into more classes, you might enjoy it, there is nothing wrong with u doing private tutoring on the side. Also the type of school can make a huge difference ..u could hate 1 and love teaching in another

4. reva13

reva13 New commenter

I've just received a lovely email from a tutor who reminded me that this thread exists and quoted it as their inspiration for moving into private tutoring full-time after 5 years of part-time tutoring. So I thought I'd add another update in the hope that it might reach others who are considering taking the plunge.

How has it been 5 years since I went fulltime and started The Profs?? Since last writing in 2017 I've been fortunate enough to have won national awards, been featured in the press a few times and even worked with The Department for Education to build an educational video game. What a whirlwind it's been, but these are things that I never expected when I moved into tutoring fulltime.

There have been a lot of industry developments in that time too. Most notably:

> Online tutoring has gone from a niche to a pillar of the industry. Tools and online whiteboards such as BitPaper and Spires have become better and better to facilitate this and help train tutors to move online. Most importantly, it is no longer the case that tutors have to live in Central London, or NYC to fill up their timetables.

> Many more tutoring companies have entered the UK market, but no one has yet dominated it. I suspect that this is the sweet spot for private tutors. Many of these companies have raised millions of pounds and put this into national awareness campaigns, which in turn have created more demand for tutoring services. I believe that tutoring feels more commonplace and accepted in our culture (it used to be a bit of 'shame product'). In fact, many schools and local governments are now funding tutoring to help those in most need. It's great to see more and more people accepting that one-to-one instruction can enact great changes and that this is worth investing in. It's certainly why I've put my entire career into helping students (and tutors)! With competition between companies being so high - and no dominant player able to influence prices - hourly rates have remained attractive and tutors have retained full control of their working hours and practices. From what I've seen, tutors and tutoring companies have a really positive, symbiotic relationship. These are good trends that other industries have not seen.

> The online tutoring community is really flourishing. There are many fantastic social media groups where tutors share their experiences and best practices for the betterment of themselves and the industry. It's been great to see these grow over the past few years, and it makes the profession far less isolating than it once was. I hope that these forums remain independent so that tutors can always freely share their ideas.

In short, I believe that tutoring is easier than ever to get into, and the main drawbacks (professional isolation and lack of opportunities outside of the big cities) have been combatted.

I often get questions in response to these posts on how to get into tutoring. My top recommendations are:

1) Start out part-time and build up your client base and experience - delivering the very best service to each of your students and learning which areas most interest you (and whether there is enough demand for tutoring this).
    2) Use tutoring companies to fill up your client base and understand how the industry works. They are there to get you more work and most are pretty good at it! Research your niche and find the right company to represent you (we specialize in university and professional tutoring). There are many teachers on TES who are looking to make the transition and there are companies out there who exclusively work with teachers and ex-teachers. All the highest-paid tutors I've met work exclusively through the best companies*.
    3) Get set up online so that you can reach students anywhere in the world without costly travel time.
    4) Actively tell all your students that you are looking for referrals and this is the lifeblood of our industry. I've been very fortunate in receiving so many referrals, but I've also not been afraid to tell my clients that I need their help.

*I appreciate I'm biased here, but I still pay my subs like everyone else :)

Thank you to the tutor who contacted my office and kindly reminded me about this forum. See you again in 2021...

Happy tutoring!
    Tutor Party 2019.jpg
    The Profs Awards 2019

5. SUPER.SUPPLY

SUPER.SUPPLY Occasional commenter

SO, where do I begin to earn a crust as an ex primary teacher with 19 years experience. Strengths are French Spanish English and maths at primary level. I have extensive experience with SEN and would love 1:1 work but need to earn a wage at least the same as a full time teacher ?

as it iis, im enjoying the freedom but my money will run out. I'm not afraid to role up my sleeves and get stuck in.
    I know this thread started years ago, it would be great to speak to people just starting out or in their first year.
    question for reva13. Can I have my own led company set up first? Must I? I have no leads at the moment and can't see how I as a primary teacher can earn a living from it.

6. dafm88

dafm88 New commenter

I certainly hope so! I've just quit teaching after 14 years in order to do it!