1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you make a living out of being a private tutor?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Lucyjane85, Oct 14, 2012.

1. michelle_s_butterworth

michelle_s_butterworth New commenter

Hi, I'm a private tutor myself and was considering getting some associates on board - was just wondering how you go about it? And how much responsibility it entails?

Thanks,
    Michelle

2. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

As a tutor, I do not understand why anyone would be an associate. why would I want to pay a commission to someone? What is in it for me? I do about 20-25 hours a week and I pay no commission to anyone

3. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I can understand it. As an established tutor, I get lots of word-of-mouth recommendations but, since most of my students are long-term and planning on staying with me for at least two years, I cannot take them all on. I pass those contact on to tutors who haven't got the client base to generate lots of business. They pay me a commission each month for that.

4. langteacher

Maybe there is more demand in some areas than others. Even as a new tutor it never entered my head to look to an agent that charges commission and I have never really had any problems finding students. Is this something that you advertise or is it just as and when people ask?

5. QAAWyrd_Tuition

QAAWyrd_Tuition New commenter

HI
    i'd like to write a book on the range of private tuition from those just helping kids learn to read for small returns to the bigger possibilities, anyone want to contribute?
    Any has anyone a legal opinion on using private microsoft office licences instead of business ones for tuition or teaching resources or uploads to tes resources? Thanks Sue

JanetKRose likes this.
  6. MonMothma

MonMothma Established commenter

21 students? How many do you do per day and when? Do you do Fridays? How much of the weekend do you do?

7. langteacher

I teach languages so I teach a fair few adults in the day time. Retired people with property abroad and also shift workers and people who need languages for work. I only work Monday to Friday now. I do six or seven on a busy day. And maybe three or four on a quiet day.

8. MonMothma

MonMothma Established commenter

That makes sense.

9. reva13

reva13 New commenter

It's a good question, but the answer is simple: if the 'agency' adds proportionately more than to your income than it takes, then mathematically, it's a no-brainer!

In case that's unclear. Say someone charges £30 per hour on average, and an agency charges £60 and pays the tutor £45, the hourly rate has clearly increased. The agency has add +50% to the hourly wage, and taken 25% of the total charge.

By banding together, as we did originally at The Profs, our reputations (and therefore ability to charge higher rates) rapidly increased. Plus we learnt from each other in what can otherwise be a lonely industry. This post 'How to double your hourly income' is horribly cheesy in its style, but the points are genuine and the outcome is true. I guess number 8 should probably be join a collective or an agency to help boost your rates.

10. reva13

reva13 New commenter

So glad you've made the plunge. Plllleeeeeeease get yourself online - I won't post my site here again as it'll begin to look like I'm aggressively promoting - but there is no reason why you can't access some higher paying clients if you are serious about tutoring as a career. I think it's wonderful to take on a mix of different income earners, but you have to look after yourself and get yourself paid well. If you are interested, find PM me and I'll show you how I do it.

PS I will admit that I miss more lie-ins and daily walks... except when it's raining :)

11. reva13

reva13 New commenter

Right. Let's dance.

Firstly, there is no polite way to put this: you are so, so, so awfully wrong about everything except London house prices, which are ludicrous.

In defence of the personal attack that I am lying, I present:
    Exhibit A: https://www.theguardian.com/small-b...graduates-tutoring-lucrative-business-venture
    Exhibit B: http://startups.co.uk/startups-100/2017/44-the-profs/

To answer you question, there are currently 251 active (self-employed) tutors in my network, which means the average only needs to bring in £7.968 - or just £664 - per month. The top 50 are mostly full time tutors, and clock in well over £3,000 per month in the good 6-months and 1/3 of that in the quieter months. The top 10 pull in over £10,000pm in the best months of the year - April and May in the UK.

Clients don't want rubbish online tuition - that's usually unprepared tuition over a laggy Skype connection. Online tuition absolutely does work - but it is the responsibility of us tutors to make it as-good-as or better than face-to-face. First, you need the right online tutoring software - then you need to get software to be able to record your tutorial (Zoom.us is great and free for 1-to-1!) so that it can be reused by the student - something that face-to-face can't do. Learn to screen share too. Then you need to get really good at using your computer quickly using hotkeys and a well-organised set of online notes and questions. Get a writing tablet so that your writing is natural. It does rely on both parties have a good internet connection, and if your student doesn't live have this, that is a problem. I've once persuaded someone to fork out £10 per month to upgrade their internet connection, which fixed the problem.

Why should you invest time into online tutoring? Because then you can access the best clients from all over the world - and it doesn't matter where you live.

Then find your niche - something that no one can teach as passionately or as well as you and focus on that. I love to playing the piano personally, but I realised a long time ago that it was not going to make me any money professionally. I needed something that was rarer in the market - so I went for 2nd year undergraduate economics. I nailed it - spent hours preparing and was rewarded with referrals, slowly increasing my hourly rates until my schedule filled up. Then you can really charge proper rates as there is a shortage on your time and it becomes a bidding war. The niche protects me for race-to-the-bottom competition.

I hope someone reads this and takes the plunge into professional online tutoring - it's an awesome job for those brave and committed enough.

JanetKRose and Steph2002 like this.
  12. JadeBibby

JadeBibby New commenter

Hello,

I came across this post and I have visited your website. I currently tutor in the evenings and weekends but hadn't even thought about online tutoring. Great idea, thank you!

Jade

13. Steph2002

Steph2002 New commenter

Th
    anks

14. Steph2002

Steph2002 New commenter

Do you think it is worth starting off when still full time ? I plan retire or go part tine in three years, but now have to be full time.
    Teach Psychology A level.
    Don,t want the hassle start own business yet..seen that SMHW ( show my homework )Has a service fir private tutoring, do you think worth signing up.
    I don,t want to travel to students for sure!

15. Steph2002

Steph2002 New commenter

So that Hey guy was having a laugh???

16. Reva13, any chance I can pick your brain about this? I'm looking into taking the plunge, so to speak! I am located in the NYC area, but looking to try for an international clientele. If you're willing to chat about this, where can I contact you? :)