1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you help with IEP?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by lnss, Mar 18, 2012.

1. lnss

lnss New commenter

<font size="3">This is actually a question about my niece. She has ME and part of her care plan agreed with her consultant is that she refrains from PE until such time that participation will not cause a relapse (amongst other things). The consultant has fully outlined this to the (secondary) school, where a majority of the staff are willing to accommodate my niece&rsquo;s requirements. It should be noted that my niece does not have an IEP. </font><font size="3"> </font><font size="3">However, for the second time this school year her PE teacher has insisted that she join in. For the second time she has had a relapse. The PE teacher appears to disregard the information that my brother is passing on to her with regards on how to manage his daughter&rsquo;s ME, and thinks that if my niece is having a good day then she can join in. The results are catastrophic. Today my niece cannot dress herself as she is in so much pain. </font><font size="3"> </font><font size="3">My brother, sister-in-law and I have all spoke to my niece assuring her that it is OK to tell the teacher that she cannot participate and if the teacher insists that it is acceptable to leave the lesson and seek a member of the SLT, which the SLT have welcomed. </font><font size="3"> </font><font size="3">So my questions are: </font>1.

2. lnss

lnss New commenter

<font size="3">This is actually a question about my niece. She has ME and part of her care plan agreed with her consultant is that she refrains from PE until such time that participation will not cause a relapse (amongst other things). The consultant has fully outlined this to the (secondary) school, where a majority of the staff are willing to accommodate my niece&rsquo;s requirements. It should be noted that my niece does not have an IEP. </font><font size="3"> </font><font size="3">However, for the second time this school year her PE teacher has insisted that she join in. For the second time she has had a relapse. The PE teacher appears to disregard the information that my brother is passing on to her with regards on how to manage his daughter&rsquo;s ME, and thinks that if my niece is having a good day then she can join in. The results are catastrophic. Today my niece cannot dress herself as she is in so much pain. </font><font size="3"> </font><font size="3">My brother, sister-in-law and I have all spoke to my niece assuring her that it is OK to tell the teacher that she cannot participate and if the teacher insists that it is acceptable to leave the lesson and seek a member of the SLT, which the SLT have welcomed. </font><font size="3"> </font><font size="3">So my questions are: </font>1.

3. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

Seems to me that she would benefit from an I HC P -individual health care plan ?

4. RamC

RamC New commenter

An IEP would only be relevant if she had a learning need that was to be a target. They are only used for students who have learning difficulties who are usually also either on school action plus or have statement in place. What you are talking about is not to do with her learning so this would not be appropriate. However, I agree with the first poster that you do need to ensure that there is a health action or care plan in place for her. The school has an obligation to accommodate her health, but you need to elicit to them the changeable condition and be very specific about what the conditions should be for her to be able to participate in PE and who is actually responsible to make the decision. Go to the head and arrange a meeting with her relevant teachers- make sure you all leave with an agreed plan of action. Good luck!

5. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

IEPs are used to set targets for learning or behaviour at SA, SA+ and S. All staff should have regard to them and should work on the targets therein. Pupils with IEPs for behaviour will often have a behaviour plan in place as well, so that all staff will know how to act should the need arise.
    I would expect that the school should have details of pupils with a medical condition (photos, details and what to do if......) so that everyone has knowledge of pupils with medical conditions and the impact it will have in school. Diabetics often need somewhere to go to inject themselves, nut allergy sufferers will need to be kept away from any potential nut source etc, etc.
    I would have thought your neice would fall into the category of requiring all staff to know about her condition and how to manage it, but that would not necessarily require an IEP. It does however, need to be communicated to all staff - it would seem that the PE teacher is either unaware, or taking no notice of the condition and the requirement that she must not do PE. This becomes an issue for the school and procedures. If the teacher is unaware, your brother should ask that she be included in the medical information. If the teacher is ignoring the fact that your neice cannot do PE, your brother needs to address that through the appropriate channels.

6. This seems the most obvious to me as well, surely there is an LSA or TA who could look after her during PE and do something with her that she would find fun and absorbing, like something arty or crafty? Its not really a big ask...and before I get shot down in flames about that last statement, it really isn't. I am an HT and I do things like this occasionally when the need arises and staffing is an issue. Either way your brother needs an assurance that this does not happen again.

7. My thoughts are along the same lines as sulla's. I have worked with a number of pupils with anorexia who also need to refrain from PE, they have a plan in place where they are doing something else during timetabled PE lessons. Often this is working in the library/learning support area on either worked that they have missed through their illness or homework tasks so that they have less to do in the evenings.
    If the OP's niece isn't anywhere near the PE lesson the teacher won't be able to "forget" that she isn't able to do it and include her in the lesson.

8. The parents should go and visit school and speak to the HT. Then on to find the PE teacher and explain the situation CLEARLY. This should be reported to the SEN department of the school and LEA. It should not be up to the student to 'hide' from the PE teacher.