1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you help - Outstanding lesson plan required to help improve my planning

Discussion in 'Science' started by angelchem, May 13, 2011.

1. angelchem

angelchem New commenter

I am currently working in a school which is in special measures. Can anyone provide a lesson plan for science year 7 upwards which has been graded as good/outstanding. I would be interested to look at the activities, engagement, pace and assessment techniques to help improve my teaching. Thus would really help as we have no outstanding teachers in our science department. Thank you

2. Have you looked at the criteria for outstanding lessons? They imply a good relationship with pupils leading to motivation and self-discipline. They require you to know where are pupils are and where they are going. It is difficult to get a lesson graded as "outstanding" unless your whole ethos with that group leads to every lesson being outstanding.
    Good is much easier to achieve, but it is the delivery of the educational experience, not the plan, which is required.
    I'm sure if you look at any published scheme of work, the general level would aim to be "good". Some people say "I wouldn't try to do all of that in one lesson" - perhaps that gives you an indication of pace, although individual pupils will progress at differing rates and you should differentiate throughout the lesson. Always have more material available to you than you expect to use, then there should not be any "dead" spots. Push your pupils to extend themselves and do as much as they can rather than as little as they can get away with. Show them how they are moving forward, tell them how they are succeeding and encourage them do more
    Many publishers are producing new schemes at the moment, and will send you sample pages if you do not have any other access to information.

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Are you sure you don't have any outstanding teachers?

4. Try 'Pimp My Lesson' Wallace & Kirkham for some good ideas.
    When we had Ofsted last year one of the key things they looked for was progress - did the pupils know where they were and how did they know they had made progress. Our KS3 students have APP tracking sheets stuck in the front of their books - and many schools have similar means of recording targets and pupil progress towards this.
    I was also asked about differentiation.

5. Hi
    I have a plan you can have that was regarded as an outstanding lesson by Ian richardson when he visited us for the science survey. Basically I gave him a selction of plans to show him what my students had already done and what they were doing next.
    In terms of your department, have you thought of looking at the sucessful science white paper together. I have recently made a little project booklet for my department, where I took a selection of ofsted observation comments. I then asked the department to read them between one meeting to the next and make notes on what features of the lessons made them good/outstanding and what improvements could be made to the satisfactory ones. I then discussed these with them and we looked at what the ofsted inspector had written.
    The inspectors also look at whether the students know how they are progressing so we put tracking sheets in the front of their books, which they fill in after assessment tasks and tests.
    Hope this helps
    [​IMG]

6. I would echo what others have posted about it being infinitely more important that your ethos and relationships are consistently good.
    Having said that, your lesson plan is the best opportunity to spell out all the thought and detail that goes into your planning - it should reflect very closely the children you are teaching, rather than an off-the-shelf lesson.
    A good place to start is with the data you have on the kids - use their levels to guide what your learning objectives should be, and make sure you cater for a level above to stretch the most able.
    Then refer to any IEPs your kids have and make a space to meet some of their targets ( and make it clear on your plan that is what you are doing).
    Make sure you have a way to <u>prove</u> the progress the kids have made in the lesson - my favourite atm is "double bubble" where they write down what they already know/ any questions they have in one bubble at the start of the lesson, and then repeat at the end of the lesson.
    Include an AfL activity where the children set each other targets - this proves they are engaged - but you do need to train them to give science targets otherwise they revert to "handwriting" or "try harder".
    Plan a wide range of activities -but be prepared to have consolidation tasks for any children who struggle and dont be afraid to deviate from the plan to meet the kids needs.
    If pace is an issue, firstly dont plan any activity for longer then 15 mins, and use a big IWB timer like cool timer so kids can see the time counting down.
    Make your plenary time "sacred" and make it count - set a challenging homework, complete your double bubble and make time to review these as a class.

Hope that helps!