1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you help me with what to do on ebay please?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Dec 17, 2018.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I placed a rotovator on sale on eBay. In the end, I offered bids. One person gave me an offer, which I accepted.
    I contacted the man and he responded to me. I arranged to bring the rotovator up to him at a private cost but marked his bid accepted on e Bay.
    Since then zilch. It turns out he is using a woman's site(possibly his partner) but failed to either pay the bid price or get back to me. It was a condition I wanted payment for the machine before delivery.
    I suspect he has decided not to accept the offer so what do I do
    Do I just cancel the sale and put it down to experience.
    Do I report him to eBay, assuming they might do something or what might you suggest. I have t say I am not sure if the bid is a contract now I have accepted it, but he was using someone else site, which I had not known, but unsure if eBay would be interested?
    Thanks in advance.

2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Why not call him and accept cash on delivery?

3. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

eBay do tend to side with the buyer, but you could report him. I don't think the site he used has a bearing on this, however. Site is the wrong word here - I mean his account.

4. oldsomeman

I did not want cash on delivery except for the delivery of the item. I have been conned with cash on delivery before.I did not want to drive all the way to his place to find he turns it away.

5. Pageant

Pageant Occasional commenter

People change their minds all the time. I'd forget about it.

6. sadscientist

sadscientist Senior commenter

He made a bid, you accepted it, is that correct? Nothing happens until he pays up. The delivery arrangements are irrelevant. Give him a deadline to pay by - if he doesn't, then report the timewaster.

7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

This.

It's a fundamental part of eBay's model that people honour bids they make. It will probably also cost you for the listing that went nowhere because he hasn't honoured what he said he would do.

8. BW12345

BW12345 Star commenter

Ebay's a minefield, keep yourself covered.
    Get him to pay for the item, then arrange when you're going to deliver it. If he doesn't pay within a week, you could report him as a non paying bidder and that's it - forget him and relist it.
    It should be free. At that point if you aren't sure, use ebay's "live chat".
    If you do deliver it, make sure you get him to sign something to say he has received it - with name and address. Go overboard, take a picture of him signing it at his house etc too.
    The reason is that if he pays by paypal then the thing isn't posted, there's no proof of delivery so he gets his money back. It happens a lot.
    He can contest the receipt of course, in which case you would probably lose.
    Whenever there's personal collection or delivery, the only sure thing is cash.

9. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

But make sure you do it all through eBay - as soon as you go off site and start making private arrangements (I note delivery was to be 'at private cost') you lose all eBay protection and support.

10. oldsomeman

Thaks all I have posted him a time i want to hear from him and informed him that after that it seems he has no intention to honour the bid.
    I did think I had to give him time to pay so I have honoured that.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Within eBay rules there's a set amount of time for him to pay, after which you should report him as a non-paying buyer and a case will be opened against him that will probably go in you favour. Last I heard, two non-paying buyer cases against him will allow other sellers (and you) to block him from bidding on their items. I do this by default, because of previous problems with non-paying time-wasters. There's also the possibility that he or someone he knows is selling a similar item and he's just trying to nobble the competition.

I'd suggest re-listing it but maybe with buyer collect as the means of delivery, rather than you putting yourself out. You're perfectly entitled to insist on payment before collection, because you don't want them haggling over the agreed price when they turn up to collect it. I always insist on pre-payment.

I don't know if this applies to you, but I routinely have eBay offering "Pay only £1 final value fee" promotions, usually over weekends. That means if it sells for £100 you only pay £1 in final value fees, and not close to £20. It's worth hanging on for them if they're offered.

Personally I either auction it and let the auction run its full course, or I sell it with a Buy It Now price - I never accept offers. Too much faff, and you're more likely to earn more from the other two options anyway.

oldsomeman and needabreak like this.
  12. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Some of the advice here is wrong.
    Just cancel the transaction via the right drop down field in your sold items. Say "item no longer available" or something.
    If you pursue them for payment they get a snotty message off eBay, which gets his back up. The message will tell him "PAY NOW" to avoid further messages.
    So he can pay, but then he is able to claim the item is not as described or it didn't
    arrive.Even if you go and deliver it to him. And this is pretty much a likely scenario if somebody is irritated (he has no right to be irritated, but it does roll this way when people are told "PAY NOW"). If a buyer gets upset, the fastest and most effective recourse for them is to pay for an item and then claim it is faulty. They could then possibly wrest a refund yet still get to keep the item. You don't know, but it is possible. Anything is possible once they have paid.
    So it does not work in your favour to think "he bid for it, he has to pay for it".
    Just cancel it, and sell it for collection only.

I'll add that when he found out you wanted payment before delivery, it is quite possible he decided to not trust you at all, think about it...

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  13. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

I accept cash on collection as it avoids paypal fees. I always add in my description that I don't do door step negotiations, and so far noone has tried to.
    I only ever had one person who didn't bother to collect an item and became quite rude when I asked them to stop saying they would come then not turning up. Most transactions for me have been trouble free. Maybe i've just been lucky

In this case, I'd also, give a polite nudge saying you're wondering if they have changed their mind and if you haven't heard from them by......give date...then you will cancel and relist. Might be also worth looking at their feedback as a buyer. I find polite usually gets a response. You can go down the unpaid item route after 2 days then I think they have 4 more days to pay. But as others gave said, it can wind people up.
    Hope you get sorted.

needabreak likes this.
  14. needabreak

Snap!

15. magic surf bus

You should be careful about being the one who cancels the transaction though, as this can make you appear less trustworthy as a seller via the ratings system, even if the buyer is messing you about. I'd always advise taking it through eBay Support and waiting for their judgment so it's the buyer who gets downgraded and not you.

It also does other sellers a favour if non-payers get flagged up by eBay support, as it makes it easier to block them.

eBay automatically reminds buyers about non-payment anyway, so their system will be aware of any delays. A couple of years ago there was a problem with zero feedback buyers messing up sales by bidding then never paying, which I suspect was a blocking tactic to get rid of competitors. This was especially so with second hand mobile phone sales, meaning that your item could be off the market in no sale limbo for a while before the non-payment system kicked in. As a result eBay changed its payment monitoring system to make it harder for non-payers to get away with this.

needabreak likes this.
  16. needabreak

Of course the buyer could genuinely have other priorities, it's a busy time for lots of people.

17. oldsomeman

Thank yourself and all others who have been kind enough to reply.
    The problem i found is he is using a emales name but he is a man when i spoke to him.Therefore, I assume he does not have an account of his own.

18. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I got into a bit of a pickle when I bought a print. No one was interested in bidding for it, so I made the seller an offer. He agreed, but when I tried to pay the new price, the site wouldn't accept it - only his guide price. I told him, and he was supposed to have sorted it, but ebay still asked for the original price. Sigh.
    Anyway, I wanted the print, so paid the full price - only a few pounds more.

It came, but I was disappointed with the condition. I didn't want to complain, because, by this time, we'd exchanged a few pleasant emails, and he knew my name and address, and turned out to be fairly local.

I think he'd also stipulated 'no returns'. I don't quite grasp it...

19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I've bought a few things that were not in the condition they were advertised and I had one chancer who sent the wrong item assuming I'd not know the difference.

I no longer bother with ebay.

20. magic surf bus

Strictly speaking there's no such thing as 'no returns'. You have the same consumer rights with eBay as with anywhere else, as per

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 and
    The Consumer Contracts Regulations 2014

If it's not of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose or as described you can return it for a full refund, with the eBay seller paying for return postage. The return label is generated by eBay for download and printing and the seller is billed directly by eBay.

Items sold as damaged or for spares and repairs come closest to the concept of no returns but even that's down to how accurately the seller describes them.

Private sellers (including some eBay shop owners) don't have to pay return postage for a problem-free item you simply change your mind about, but registered Business sellers generally do have to.

eBay usually favours the buyer over the seller. I had a buyer who claimed an item I sold him was faulty so I refunded him and paid for a return. On receipt I examined it closely and discovered he'd sent me a different item to the one I sold him. There was nothing I could do apart from report him, but I got no refund. I learned from it though - I now mark any high value items with a UV security marker.

oldsomeman and EmanuelShadrack like this.