1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can You help me to achieve an Ofsted Outstanding?

Discussion in 'English' started by LeilaKay, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Hi All,
    As a new member of my 'stone-aged' department, I would really like to raise my profile around the school and be talked about as a good teacher, Ofsted is anticipated to be in Sept-Dec 2011, I'm really hoping that this could be my opportunity to shine (without blowing my own trumpet).
    I feel my classroom confidence has been knocked since I returned to work Sept 2010 after a short maternity break. I have also experienced some prejudice from one or two mature female member of the Dept, who have openly said that they think it's morally wrong to be working mums of young children(my lil lady is 2). In addition to this I have been criticised by 1 or 2 , arrogant, Pushy deluded parents who believe that their kids will a Doctor or Lawyer.
    Any ideas, or recommended reading would be a great place to start.

Thanks LK

2. Hi All,
    As a new member of my 'stone-aged' department, I would really like to raise my profile around the school and be talked about as a good teacher, Ofsted is anticipated to be in Sept-Dec 2011, I'm really hoping that this could be my opportunity to shine (without blowing my own trumpet).
    I feel my classroom confidence has been knocked since I returned to work Sept 2010 after a short maternity break. I have also experienced some prejudice from one or two mature female member of the Dept, who have openly said that they think it's morally wrong to be working mums of young children(my lil lady is 2). In addition to this I have been criticised by 1 or 2 , arrogant, Pushy deluded parents who believe that their kids will a Doctor or Lawyer.
    Any ideas, or recommended reading would be a great place to start.

Thanks LK

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

4. You do not need to get an 'ofsted outstanding' lesson to be able to hold your head high. In fact I would say that the ofsted criteria for an outstanding lesson is flawed as outstanding lessons are unsustainable because they require far more ppa time than is given.

Personally I prepare lessons that ensure that all students learn something new, and that all students are challenged, an outstanding lesson oftenly has students that initially struggle with a task but get there in the end. An outstanding lesson should be enjoyable for the students and the teacher. The students should be working harder than the students. We could and should discuss this for hours!

John

5. opps meant to say that the students should work harder than the teacher

6. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

I had an obs yesterady - not OFSTED, just an internal thing - and I got 'good'
    I had:
    objectives on the board - constantly referred back to
    consolidation of previous learning starter
    mini plenaries and and final plenary
    ticked all the VAK (my school is onto VAK - don't ask) boxes
    used IT
    the kids were on task the whole time
    they demonstrably made progress
    What IS 'outstanding', please?
    we all enjoyed it, including the observer
    they worked harder than I did

7. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Gruoch, could it be that the observer only got 'Good' when observed?
    I really dislike this system - it's like going to see a West End show knowing that the only show worth seeing will be on the night that the critics are in. While I wouldn't want <strike>critics</strike> observations unannounced, I resent participating in this sham idea that we all do outstanding lessons for observations and 'proper' lessons the rest of the time. I teach some awful lessons where the whole class is at different points and some are just catching up. Some lessons are 'great lessons' according to the kids but I know some are left behind because it's all too 'pacey' and then there are lessons where I teach, the kids learn but there are no whistles and bells because we just need to get it done. Bit none of these happen when I'm being observed.

8. gruoch

Deputy head did obs.
    It's a tiny classs of Yr 7s who are all 2c or 1, so we are concentrating on literacy skills. DH suggested that I should have gone on to something 'more challenging', but I pointed out that these pupils need lots and lots of positive reinforcement if they are to porgress - giving them something they struggle with will only demotivate them. The class includes a boy who arrived 15 minutes late during the previous lesson and left after 10 minutes as the lesson was 'too long'. In the onserved lesson he was brilliant - and none of them knew what was going one.
    I give up.

9. gruoch

Apols for typos - half term brain has kicked in.

10. Just had Ofsted, so please get in touch. A few hints to get outstanding.

11. Hi Azel hope you can help!
    Hi thanks all for your comments, i do feel better.
    I really want to try and get some kind of a formula together so i can try and test it different yr groups, I teach yr 9-13 in an upper school. We have an AST in our dept, so i'm hoping she can observe me and give me some good feedback improvement tips.
    xLK

12. Just email and you can have the stuff.

13. Just email and you can have the stuff.

14. Would appreciate any tips to get OFSTED outstanding, thanks!

15. Ofsted should not grade individual lessons. See NUT flyer website address below;

http://www.teachers.org.uk/files/nn1707.pdf