1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you help me please, pedants?

Discussion in 'English' started by Rhea, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Is it totally wrong to say 'He appears to be being followed' or 'It seems to be being used now'? Do we need to say 'It appears that he is being followed' or 'It seems that it is being used now'?

2. Is it totally wrong to say 'He appears to be being followed' or 'It seems to be being used now'? Do we need to say 'It appears that he is being followed' or 'It seems that it is being used now'?

3. I've no problem with first two constructs as the sentences work even if the 'being' is replaced with any other present tense verb.
    e.g: He appears to be singing /dancing/ laughing/ swearing now.
    No debate there so why should we treat the 'being' any differently?Then again- what do I know?
    Enjoy the sunshine :)

4. It's perfectly correct to say 'he appears to be being followed'.

5. Thank you both for taking time to reply. Got rapped on knuckles by headteacher who pointed out that such construction is never used. Does it make a difference if using passive voice as well? I know it looks awkward.
    Sun shining today - raining forecast for weekend. We need the water!

6. Rain forecast not 'raining'. Very nervous on pedant thread. Making typos now :)