1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

can you give one month notice in Italy for rent

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by musikteech, Mar 29, 2016.

1. musikteech

musikteech Occasional commenter

I've just accepted a job in Italy and have to pay my own rent. I have found a landlord and would like to know if anyone knows if I can give a month's notice in the contract should anything go wrong. A lot of ads say 12 months minimum. It will be a room share not a whole apartment. He did say according to Italian law, you will have to pay a penalty for terminating the contract early. Just like to make sure I don't lose too much. Thanks

2. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

First of all you were looking at Shanghai, then KSA and now you've accepted a job in Italia! But also you've been deported from Macau and jailed in Qatar, know everything to do with being an NQT in Spain - such a colourful life so far. I wonder if Italia will live up to your expectations!

I don't actually rent my house out there but know plenty of people who do (all Italians btw) and yes there are penalties - if you sign a contract that is notarised by the local commune and you've paid your franco de bollo (a local tax) then you are fully committed. Ironically, Italian landlords are well known for following the law when it comes to contracts well partially! It also depends whether there is a local agent involved because you will also have to pay 2 months up front plus an agents fee - all of which you lose if you ditch! If its anything other then you are at risk from a commune fine when, not if, the polizia locale check up. They do periodical checks on all residents probably a couple of times a year.

The only reasons I know this is because I have lived and worked in Italia for several years plus I own a house there with my Anglo-Italian husband!

3. musikteech

musikteech Occasional commenter

Thanks for the info. I have found someone on easystanza.it who says two month's notice and there is no local agent involved, The deposit is one month's rent. The contract I am signing is with Berlitz and they don't pay holiday pay in August!Terrible I know, but they do say you can earn up to 2000euros per month which is the best I can do at the moment. Also Italy isn't as far as Shanghai and will only cost £100 to fly there as opposed to about £500 for Shanghai. I have so far been unsuccessful being placed in KSA so far. So it looks like I'll be in an apartment share in Italy for a while. Berlitz do have schools around the globe including KSA so it could be a stepping stone to a better contract in future,