1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you get voluntary redundancy and accept a new job offer ?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by RacinRat, Oct 13, 2009.

1. My employer is offering voluntary redundancy. I have a job interview for a job which will start after Christmas. Can I still claim the redundancy money if I am offered the new post? Thanks.

2. Will your redundancy package include your getting the TPA pension? Ask your union, or read the small print of the redundancy offer.

3. You cannot receive redundancy money if you are moving on to a new job. There has to be a certain period of time before you can start a new job if you do take redundancy money.
    We were all made redundant at my last school and only those who were not going on to new jobs could take the option of redundancy pay. Anyone going to a new job is seen as continuous service, even when moving to a different LA.

4. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

One bloke did it at our place: Applied for and got voluntary redundancy when he already had a new job, he just had not handed his notice in. Jammy rat got out of our hellhole, a new job with higher pay, and about 18 grand!

5. Thanks for the replies so far. I would be moving from one college to another so I'm
    not sure if that would make a difference. The money would be useful and
    I can't see what the difference is between getting a job now or getting
    one soon after the voluntary redundancy. Plus, they want people to go
    so it makes restructuring easier as there are jobs, just not enough for
    everyone.

6. snowstorm

snowstorm New commenter

I know someone who got the redundancy pay, and his pension, and has returned to his school to work. All he had to do was take a month off before re-starting his job.
    He was at the age of retirement and asked for the redundancy package so a younger memeber of his dept didnt need to lose their job.
    Winners all round as the school didnt want to lose his service either.

7. I took voluntary redundancy last year. There was nothing in the redundancy agreement that said that I couldn't receive the money if I had another job to go to. I had offers of hourly paid work for after I was made redundant and the Personnel department were aware of that. In fact, the only stipulation was that I couldn't return to work for that College for 4 weeks and one day.

8. I think that if you are working in a maintained school, you are unable to work for the same local authority within a given time period, which is stated in your redundacy package- which would include supply work.
    I am not sure but this might have applied to any local authority rather than just your own.
    Unions are realy helpful at explaining and negotiating this type of stuff. Get in touch with them.

9. Redundancy payments are by way of compensation for your loss of employment with a particular employer. They are ceasing the contract of employment. . They are not, to the best of my knowledge, influenced by anything you are able to secure with a subsequent employer. Being made redundant does not render you unemployable in any way. The payment is between you and the old employer, nothing to do with anyone else. I am not aware of any "cooling off period" where you must refrain from gaining further employment. Whether the authority creating the redundancy chooses to re-employ you, and on what terms, is up to them. But they cannot impose any kind of employment "embargo"upon you.

10. Yes- but the L.A, can place a fixed time embargo on employing you in any capacity within that authority, which also extends to other local authorities.
    As a teacher in the maintained sector this will have a profound effect on job opportunities for the period.

11. Yes, it looks as though you are right: 29 days seems to be mentioned as the period.

12. snowstorm

snowstorm New commenter

glad u got that sorted; good luck.