1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you get onto a PGCE Course with a 2:2 degree?

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by Samantha212, Jun 26, 2011.

1. I hear the competition for PGCE primary is fierce, and that a 2:2 Honours degree is no longer good enough. I need a confident boost lol, and was hoping someone out here can provide me with that. Also, how much experience would you consider to be a substantial amount? I know many unis ask for a minimum of 2 weeks but is it best to get a year? Any advice is welcome.

P.s Have the government cut bursaries....
    I've been living in a bubble! Don't judge me :)

2. Hey!
    I have recently completed the PGDE at Jordanhill and I gained entry with a 2:2. I did have experience of working with children - volunteering with a local rainbows group and teaching English abroad. I would advise you to try and get as much experience as possible before writing your personal statement. It's not all about qualifications, they're looking to see evidence that you really want to work in the profession and with the age group you choose.
    Hope this helps :)

3. Hi Samantha212,
    I've just finished my PGDE and I had a 3rd. I think they look at your qualities and your experience.
    I had previously been a Sunday school teacher and a Kumon teacher. I left my job in July 2009 and spent 2 months volunteering in a school followed by working as SFL supply. I applied for uni in Nov (GTTR don't send it to the uni until Dec) and was lucky to get in. If you can't get the experience in schools then they are happy for you to have experience with children in other settings such as Brownies, after-school clubs, sunday school etc.

With regards to bursaries do you live in England or Scotland?
    I'm assuming England as you wrote PGCE and not PGDE. If you let me know I will give you the relevant advice.

Smob