1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you get a job over 50?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by dunnocks, May 29, 2018.

1. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Yes they do discriminate and in many other employment settings.

The highest number of people in receipt of JSA are over 50 and 1/4 of the UK workforce is currently over 50. The DWP have been working really hard to try and encourage more schools to take on the over 50 teachers that are currently unemployed and seeking to return to teaching. There was even a scheme they put in place whereby schools would get £5,000 for taking us on, but the schools weren't interested and we all know how schools NEED extra funding!

By 2020 a whopping THIRD OF THE UK WORKING POPULATION will be over 50. The DWP are currently attempting to encourage MORE over 60s TO CONTINUE IN EMPLOYMENT UNTIL 72 and encouraging more older people to retrain! And there are many graduates over 50, who are retraining and doing PGCEs, with FULL knowledge that there are no jobs for them to do. One, aged 59 said to me, he was doing it to support his tutoring business, knowing he will never have to pay it back.

I read somewhere that by 2032 more than half the UK population will be over 50. So the young folk better hope we are able to prop up our pensions between now and retirement otherwise you ALL will be forking out for us not only with the State Pensions but with an INCREASE in the number of pensioners receiving PENSIONERS' CREDIT. The teachers with their TPS will also have to pay more tax to pay for the HIGHER NUMBER of pensioners that will need to be in receipt of pensioners credit. And it is predicted to be a large number.

Now, the most economically productive age group in society are the 35-50 year olds. If the over 50 could make half as much economically as this group, it would make a massive difference to the UK economy.

We are heading for a situation where there will be LARGE number of Over 50s out of work and the brunt of paying for it, in terms of JSA, Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, Mortgage benefit etc and the number of pensioners in receipt of pensions and pensioners' credit will be met by the younger generation and this just isn't unfair cos you still have your student loans to pay off.

Remember, the majority of over 50s now are the brilliant baby boomers. In about 15 years time, they will all be ready to collect their state pensions.

So the problems facing over 50 teachers trying to get back into classroom teaching impacts EVERYONE because we are all paying for it in some way.

agathamorse and Mrsmumbles like this.
  2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

drvs likes this.
  3. catbefriender

Good for you @dunnocks, good for you!

Still waiting for you to give CONSTRUCTIVE advice and support to the over 50s teachers out there able bodied and/or disabled, currently looking to return to classroom teaching rather than listening to you go on and on about how EASY it is for you to get a job and how you were inundated with A MASSIVE TWO job offers. How you do love to put unemployed teachers down in your subtle ways.:rolleyes:

Whereas I try to support my fellow teachers by giving them guidance such as retraining with the TSST and joining the NTCL programme and by constantly reminding them to

REMEMBER THEIR AWESOMENESS

I reiterate, older teachers have to diversify their talents and look outside of classroom teaching and utilise their God given talents elsewhere. Online teaching I think offers a solution especially to those with disabilities and over 60.

To think, I could possibly double my income by next year with online tutoring! Hence my desire to get cracking on my home office environment.

What we all need to do is earn enough money to survive legally. Whether we are working in or out of schools, does not matter at all.

It's that we are working that matters.

Again @dunnocks, any constructive advice you can give to others pursuing classroom teaching over 50s I am sure would be welcomed by them and as you know, I don't need it as I'm off doing other things like mastering the art of teaching online i.e. software, equipment and also adapting my teaching resources to the needs of this expanding market cos I'm over 50 and I'm forever awesome!:)

4. catbefriender

:)

agathamorse likes this.
  5. catbefriender

When I contacted the website it took me around 2 weeks to get a call from an adviser. I then called up the Return to Teaching helpline and they called me within days. They will call you and schedule a ONE HOUR chat, and go through what's on offer i.e. ALL the courses. Remember, the courses have finished for this year and there's not much happening now.

I suggest you consider doing
    a. the TSST Maths KS3 and KS4
    b. although you are already an AWESOME Science teacher, doing the Level 5 Science TSST especially if your local TSST provider offers A level Biology and Chemistry as it wouldn't hurt to learn even more awesome pedagogical tips and also have a chin wag with some kindred scientific spirits, and getting some more FREE teaching resources. The Physics is usually done apart from the Maths and Science.

Re the TSSTs, they are all finished or finishing now, but try and get yourself on one or two of them for next October. If you've registered on the portal and expressed a desire to return to teach Maths, Science or MFL they will come back to you. If you're non of those subjects, unfortunately, they don't.:oops:

As qualified teachers, we all have GCSE English and Maths, so retraining in those subjects, although extremely challenging, is a possibility and we HAVE TO diversify our skills to prop up our pensions to prevent being a burden to the younger generation. I sure even @thin_ice would applaud a ONE EYED older teacher doing that.

Never been called one eyed before......

Oh the nonsensical insults you get from teachers on the TES website for just saying over 50 teachers are awesome and some insults from allegedly over 50 teachers themselves!:rolleyes:

6. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

Can we leave it now, please.

Many thanks.

thin_ice likes this.
  7. catbefriender

Will do, unless I get more insults.

8. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

Go well cat

agathamorse likes this.
  9. catbefriender

10. Timothy_Blue

Timothy_Blue Lead commenter

Yes. I somehow doubt it either. if true, said teacher is either volunteering or paid NQT wage.

catbefriender and Jolly_Roger15 like this.
  11. Timothy_Blue

The Midlands. There's your answer.

12. Timothy_Blue

It rather says something about your school or department. I should take a look at your PR.

catbefriender likes this.
  13. Timothy_Blue

Oh dear me. They have released a Gove robot.

14. Timothy_Blue

You worked that out from one observation. Good Lord. There was a time when a degree and teaching qualification could be relied upon.

JL48 and catbefriender like this.
  15. Timothy_Blue

Yet you've never heard of Mary Whitehouse . Most odd.

16. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Thank you for your suggestions as to which course I should take, if anyone from RTT, or TSST, gets back to me. I registered with the portal in March last year but all I got back was an email with a registration number; no further contact. I phoned the number and left a message with my email address, and eventually I had a return email from someone called Kathryn Kaupa, with a long list of email addresses to contact about courses. About a third of these were out of date, and the rest did not respond. I registered with the RTT portal again yesterday, so I will see if anything has changed.

I contacted tsst.mailbox@education.gov.uk last year but I have yet to get any response.

@woollani: Most of us are trying to forget Mary Whitehouse.

17. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

Thank you. That is most certainly a valid reason. In fact it's very relevant to this thread as schools often seem to prefer to employ someone cheap (and subservient) to someone who might be really good, but wants a decent salary, and won't waste their time on pointless admin, or be bullied by SLT. About 5 years ago, despite the maths HOD and his assistant REALLY wanting me, the headmaster who was a serious bully wouldn't employ me, because he knew he couldn't pressurise or intimidate me.

Thin ice, I assume you are one of the SLT brigade that heartily dislike anyone who questions your decision :rather like the head I just mentioned. One day perhaps (though I doubt it) you might come to realise that somebody's unsuitable is often just their personal prejudice.

18. catbefriender

And good luck to paying for the HUGE costs financially and otherwise of not having older teachers in the workplace as you are going to need it. If you're young enough, you'll probably have to work until 72, and you won't be able to do that in schools. :(

And BTW, I DO have a sight disability (one of many) and being called one-eyed could be regarded as disabiltist, but I see the humour. It is challenging using the internet without the assistive technology that you can get with Word, Powerpoint etc. but I think I'm doing a brilliant job cos I'm awesome. It's much harder to type accurately when one is on medication for the rest of my life, hence I have to factor that into my online software programme, but I'm getting assistance with that.

I organise my tutoring, so that I wouldn't be say gardening for 6 hours before tutoring online. I have been gardening for around 12 hours over the weekend and then getting back to the website, so my error rates are much higher, because I have had to take more medication to do the physical tasks involved. Next week the DIY will probably mean I will be making even more errors than usual - but do I care? Hell No!

But when I'm tutoring, it won't factor in, because all these hugely physical tasks will have been completed and I will be back to my blissful yoga routines.

Typing accurately on the TES website isn't as important as when tutoring online, and most normal people get over the typos on social media as they have more significant things to comment on.

And thanks for acknowledging my being too awesome. Not only is it true, it's also really appreciated.;)

agathamorse likes this.
  19. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

This almost made me wet my pants laughing until I thought they might actually be serious. Do the "younger ones" care more about what the correct terminology for an initiative is, rather than caring about what impact it has on education?

20. catbefriender

Roger I have spoken to my former TSST adviser and she has told me I can give out her details to you and to anybody who wishes to join the RTT programme.

I will be PMing you shortly, after I have emailed and thanked her.

ANYBODY wishing to get a direct contact details to someone on the NTCL Return to Teaching Programme, and wishing to return to teach and/or retraining to teach Maths, Science or MFL, please PM me and I will forward on her details.

This will speed up the application process. I will not need your email address as I will send you hers.

Good luck everyone!