1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you get a job over 50?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by dunnocks, May 29, 2018.

1. 50sman

50sman Occasional commenter

Just got a one year contract aged 59

2. catbefriender

catbefriender Established commenter

Congratulations 50s, hope it works out for you 100% and you get the all jobs you want at the money you want, until you want to retire.

Onwards and upwards Mate!:)

alisonhank likes this.
  3. 50sman

I have retired -I took ARB two years ago.
    I keep being sent by agencies to schools and they keep offering me jobs

alisonhank likes this.
  4. catbefriender

Wonderful that you are still being considered. I still remember your posts on the Unemployed teachers forum. ;)

5. 50sman

That lasted for all of one to two months - in that time I became an NVQ assessor (3000 pounds course paid for by DWP) , got a job on night shift stacking shelves st Sainsbury’s three nights a week, did day to supply and then got two term supply job followed by permanent job for four and a half years.

Moved to south coast at Christmas and started two term supply job in January.
    Now working elsewhere in September. A little bit worried as it will be my twelfth school I have worked for a least two terms and like Dr Who I could be running out of regenerations!

agathamorse likes this.
  6. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Established commenter

The same happens to me with the exception that the schools want me to work for free, or for peanuts.

BetterNow likes this.
  7. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

So we can’t have them, then!

8. catbefriender

Exactly, you MUST remember that teaching, social work and nursing are professions or shall we word them correctly, vocations developed exclusively by nuns and priests in the 19th century. And think of the word nun, and then you have an idea of what teachers can't get none off:rolleyes:.

Being a priest or a nun and being a teacher is perfect. They don't need a good wage, cos they don't need fancy accommodation and fancy clothes. And they can all live in the covents or monasteries. Just praying to God, sleeping, eating and thinking only of teaching. Just think how focused these teachers would be and the perfect submissive qualities that would really impress SLTs. No silly answering back and questioning the fallibility of school management and just accepting, accepting, accepting the doctrines of the DoE.

Do you know, up until 1945 female teachers were expected to leave the profession once they had children? So no, we are not expected to have lives outside of teaching.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Interesting. I've experienced the reverse of this on occasion - they go for a week or fortnight's crammer course at Easter and the tutors there tell them they are going to get A or A*; we've been struggling to get D-grade exam answers out of them. On their return to school, performance is still poor - and so are the A Level results. Train crash.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. catbefriender

The difference is, tutors like @David Getling and I are qualified teachers and know our stuff and we don't give them delusions of grandeur - on the contrary, we tell them as it is.

The new GCSE Maths specification is a lot tougher than the legacy one, and many schools in my area worked on the premise of, 'Teaching them 40% of the curriculum and hoping for the best.' This can not work anymore. So I reckon your students are going to tuition centre run by unqualified teachers, probably undergraduate students, A level students and UTs being paid £8-10 p/h and who don't have a clue.

I am finding that my students are telling me they are predicted Bs/6s, when I am struggling to get them to a basic Grade 4 pass.

If these students have two sets of information, i.e. being told they are brilliant and have little to do and the other, they still need to work moderately hard to get a basic pass, they will, unfortunately being the way they are, go for the option that tells them they will get brilliant grades with minimum effort.

I think the problem is, UTs on both sides i.e. in the schools and tutoring scenarios bigging up these students much to their detriment.

11. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Indeed. A former faculty head of mine was a virgin up till 38. Boasted about it as well. Sex got in the way of her beloved job, you see. Weird.

catbefriender and agathamorse like this.
  12. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

There are, unfortunately, no shortage of cowboy tutors out their. Like (gas) plumbers and electricians some regulation really is badly needed. The only courses of this nature that I have ever done have been at at international school: for I.B. Diploma HL and SL maths. None of the students were given predictions. In fact, as an individual private tutor, I refuse to take on students who want a few sessions just before an exam, in the hope of changing a low grade into an A or A*. But sadly, there are plenty of dodgy people out their who are just happy to take the money.

13. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

As a question..how can such failure of not using good techers not result in overall condemnation of such schools.Does Ofsted not check on the quality of staff.Dp parents not protest at the standard of the teaching or the results?
    No wonder we, as a nation, are failing to develop the potential and qualifictions of our future young people. Simply the matter seems to be money and poor quality leadership in some schools.

14. alisonhank

alisonhank New commenter

Due to circumstances I actually need to carry on working. and I am over 50. I returned to UK last year after 12 years teaching overseas and despite my success in the UK, IOM and overseas have struggled to find work other than as cheap labour. I have 25 years experience as a teacher, middle manager(HOD and Pastoral Head), advisor, all three UPS points and have been completely unable to secure a full-time permanent role. I make resources, I am diligent, and I have outstanding appraisals to date, but last month my 17 job applications, each with their own form to fill in resulted in 2 interviews. One interview was for a part-time role that didn't exist, the other I am fairly sure the internal applicant secured the role (about 25 years my junior). I hear daily of a shortage of teachers, and yet I meet daily the lost generation of teachers aged 45-65 who have been put on the scrap heap as they are "too expensive"-what a loss, the experience, the expertise, the patience, the commitment. Incidentally, the 17 job applications took about 100 hours to complete and 12 of them didn't even send a response or reply. I am still working hard and filling the forms in.

agathamorse, tenpast7 and eljefeb90 like this.
  15. catbefriender

I've mentioned this many time. I usually meet the over 50s 'resting' teachers in the chill food section of my local supermarket.

There is Absolutely an Abundance of Awesome Over Fifty Teaching Excellence Out There.

agathamorse and alisonhank like this.
  16. Jolly_Roger15

I am sorry to hear of your plight, @alisonhank. I know it is no consolation but, as @catbefriender said, there many, many, many of us in the same boat as you.:(

agathamorse likes this.
  17. catbefriender

And we're ALL BLOOMING AWESOME:) contrary to popular opiniono_O.

agathamorse likes this.
  18. Jolly_Roger15

19. catbefriender

We've got to believe in OURSELVES or no one else will. :)

Hard to I know, when sending off applications and getting completely nada back. Hence why I can't apply anymore - the deep seated depression I fall into after a string of applications and the nothingness, nada, rien, nichts, niente, 没有, Śūnyatā - the void.:oops:

agathamorse likes this.
  20. Ezzie

Ezzie Occasional commenter

It is very sad to think that some employers think you’ve nothing to contribute after you’re 50. My temporary contract ends next March and I know that at 56 I’ll be struggling to find something else. Doesn’t help also living in a remote-ish area with very few jobs available.