1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you get a job over 50?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by dunnocks, May 29, 2018.

1. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

But what's needed are experienced teachers at the chalk face, not pen-pushers tucked away in a plush office.

2. jmacd

jmacd New commenter

I disagree, it simply demonstrates how some people can put on a show, great for extroverts. I know numerous teachers who are amazing in the classroom and always receive positive feedback from students and parents also with great results. However, during lesson observations they go to pieces. On the other hand I know great performers who put that extra effort in when it is an observation or OFSTED but can not relate to students, the results are satisfactory and show little desire and in some cases lazy. Your degree and post graduate certificate should be suffice.

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

The school I used to know well has a number of more experienced teachers in some departments

agathamorse likes this.
  4. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

That describes me to a tee.

Best results in the school but regularly failed observations, and in ways which should have meant my results should have been a disaster.

My own personal conclusion is that, if observations say you’re rubbish and your results will be poor, but your results are great, then there’s something wrong with the observation process rather than your lessons.

5. markadoi84

markadoi84 New commenter

Hi all, first post here as I found this thread researching the area of employment for over 50s. As many have said here, it is often harder than it should be for over 50s to find work - many people I speak to don't get interviews for roles they'd have walked into 20 years ago. Age discrimination still happens, even subconsciously ('over-qualified' / 'not the right cultural fit' etc.).

However - this is hopefully changing. In the last 10 years, 80% of UK employment growth has come from over 50s. With many people working longer and employers finding it hard to find the right people (something like 70% of UK businesses reported finding it hard to find the right staff - can't remember source of that) - the over 50s are a rich and yet-to-be fully appreciated source of talent.

Whatever all of you do, good luck - there are sites set up specifically for this purpose now, such as Rest Less who were the source of the stat above.

6. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

However, just because the statistics are stating over 50s are finding more work or more of them are in work, and that women born in the 50s who have been robbed of 5-6 years of their pension, are having to work, the work available for the over 50s is usually much lower paid and non comparable to what they were earning before.

In the school sector, over 50s may be asked to work ask on MS or as TAs etc. or may even be insulted and asked to 'give back' and work for free. A lot of over 50s women are also working in the childcare sector. In my area alone there are two older teachers who have set up nurseries as self employment is often the only option for older workers especially women.

The highest age group of workers on JSA are the over 50s. The fact that some are scrapping an income doesn't disguise the fact that for many over 50s professionals, it is a lot harder getting back into well paid and profitable work.:(