1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you freeze fondant icing?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by annap28, May 30, 2011.

1. Hello, I've read a number of different answers about this, and can't decide whether to risk it or not! I wanted to make an iphone cake for my boyfriend's surprise birthday party, but I need to make it a couple of weeks in advance of the day. I really wanted to do it myself rather than having it made, but am just not sure it it's possible. I'd appreciate any advice, thanks in advance.[​IMG]

2. Hello, I've read a number of different answers about this, and can't decide whether to risk it or not! I wanted to make an iphone cake for my boyfriend's surprise birthday party, but I need to make it a couple of weeks in advance of the day. I really wanted to do it myself rather than having it made, but am just not sure it it's possible. I'd appreciate any advice, thanks in advance.[​IMG]

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Never tried freezing it! Is the cake a sponge cake? If so, get the preparation done and freeze the cake, you can also leave fondant icing covered loosely with a dry teatowel in a cool dry place, so you can do all the prep in advance, then just assemble the cake when you're ready.
    As I said I have never frozen fondant icing and think it may go 'weepy' when defrosting.

4. It will be a sponge cake, I think the icing may go a bit weepy too when defrosted. How long can you leave the icing for do you think? Thanks for the help!

5. It can be but you have to take care on wrapping and defrosting it.
    To avoid the weepiness wrap it in at least 2 layers of clingfilm and one of foil. When you defrost it leave it wrapped and defrost in the fridge.
    If the cake hasn't got cream filling etc just freeze and defrost the whole thing as above.
    I did this with a small overly iced cake about a year ago. As it was summer when I defrosted it I set up a fan to blow dry it once it had defrosted - it was OK. Not as crisp a finish as a fresh one, but no-one commented negatively!