1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

can you do another PGCE if you are already a qualified teacher?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by manwithnoname, Jul 21, 2012.

1. <font face="Calibri" size="3">I am due to start a secondary science PGCE. Although I am
    happy with this choice I am also interested in primary. If later down the line
    I still feel I want to give primary a try can I apply for a primary PGCE? </font>

I know once you are a qualified teacher you can technically
    teach any age, but I also understand how difficult it must be to get a job
    without experience with the relevant age range. Plus I don't think I would feel
    comfortable teaching primary without sufficient training.
    <font face="Times New Roman" size="3">

</font>I don't see why you can't just do another PGCE. I seems
    silly that that you can be potentially held back due to a previous decision.
    <font face="Times New Roman" size="3">

</font>

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

You can't and that's all there is to it.

3. Where is not important.Important is that you are happy enough.Like their work.Your best efforts to teach students, I am proud of what you think.[​IMG]

4. Suzanathema

Suzanathema New commenter

You can't.

What you can do, though, as you have QTS and can technically teach any age range, is try to get some supply work in primary schools to build up a relevant skillset, and to try and get some good references from the supply schools to put you in good stead for getting shortlisted for primary vacancies.

Otherwise, perhaps you should spend soem time before you start really thinking about if this is right for you. Are you sure you wouldn't rather do a primary PGCE now? What attracted you to secondary to start with and what makes you think you'd rather teach primary?

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

QTs does allow you to teach primary or secondary age range but it is difficult to secure an induction post in an area where there is strong competition from NQTs trained in that phase. Many do swap phases but usually once they have gained experience and have completed induction.
    One way teachers have gained experience is through transition work with primaries and also day to day supply. You do need to research local opportunities very carefully before changing phase however as a lot depends upon the local job market.