1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you dispute a workbook scrutiny?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by antmails, Dec 9, 2015.

1. antmails

antmails New commenter

Is it possible to dispute a workbook scrutiny that has been deemed inadequate?

2. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Jesus, who'd be a teacher in a mainstream school today?

What was the problem and what are the criteria you have to meet to pass?

3. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

I found my last one today.

One week before I left. No next steps, No peer feedback, no purple pen. Good progress though. I dead proud of that.

My line manager kept saying "I know you're leaving but it needs to be done for the kids". I laughed and walked off!

4. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

The books are the evidence. There should be a marking criteria. The problem is finding the time and energy to counter the inadequate judgement with a evidenced based counter argument.

Would you be wasting your time doing this? Does the person who gave the judgement have some hidden agenda? Would they feel you were questioning their competency to pronounce on your competency? Is the book search used as a weapon that's difficult to counter? Sometimes.

5. Scintillant

Have they even correlated books with good marking to better progress than books with poor marking?

Or do students with poor progress and poor books show improved progress with "better marked" books?

6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I retired a bit over 2 years ago- I don't remember having the exercise books of any class I taught scrutinized! Maybe they were, on the quiet, but no-one ever said anything to me. What is going on in schools these days?

7. drek

drek Star commenter

Two years ago the effects of gove's changes to employment and work policies had not yet taken effect. The things that are happening would not be believed by those not in teaching anymore.
    None of it has improved student performance. It has however increased management pay packages in line with those of profitable businesses.
    Those who don't teach now get all the credit and renumeration, on the back of increasing teachers workload and stress tenfold, for less pay or for destroying the careers of experienced teachers.
    They can call themselves outstanding for doing just that. Absolutely nothing to do with student progress and performance, both of which can be made up to suit.
    The irony is that UCAS receives thousands of made up glowing references and student personal statements, written by teaching staff, who spend hours and hours of their own time, about work and 'skills' that student grades and attitudes often don't reflect, whilst teachers themselves have had to beg for references about the very real work they did for their schools and their students, no matter if it was two 2 years or 20. That is a clearest indictment of an unscrupulous, amoralistic management and HR system that one can find.
    Observations and marking scrutinies by the ambitious, ruthless and often brainless, has a lot to answer for. It has changed the nature of teaching entirely and not for the better, either for students or for their teachers.
    The whole system stinks at the moment!

HelenREMfan and FrankWolley like this.
  8. Twinklefoottoe

Twinklefoottoe Senior commenter

Have to totally agree about UCAS references. I've just finished writing my last ones and as usual feel sick that they make the students look unrecognisable, full of hyperbole, praising their non-existent work ethic and all backed up with dubious 'for examples'. The fact that they are generally lazy students, who cannot and will not work unless spoon fed, have no idea how to think for themselves, cannot reflect and evaluate, lack common sense, drive, enthusiasm and spark is neither here nor there. Neither is the appalling way they relate to adults and their lack of courtesy, politeness and manners aged 18.

I know I shouldn't but I really hope they go to university, run up £40k in debts then end up in McDonalds for the next 30 years. The penny might drop then, as they flip their ten thousandth burger and ask for the millionth time, 'would you like to supersize that' that they were idiots at school by the time they left as adults.

No wonder admissions tutors in decent universities largely ignore references these days.

pepper5 likes this.
  9. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

I thought that this topic was about workbook scrutiny?

10. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

A DH who observed my lesson praised my marking. A couple of days later, another DH criticised it following a book trawl. They were both looking at the same books!

grumpydogwoman and FrankWolley like this.
  11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

That made me laugh.

12. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

What?! Link pupil progress to the 'quality' of the marking? Do it scientifically?

What rot. How absurd. Now go away and be a biddable sheep and do as you're told.

Yoda- likes this.
  13. Sisyphus_rolls_again

Sisyphus_rolls_again Established commenter

Time to put my geek hat on:

I did a little analysis of last year's GCSE results.
    I averaged every pupil's results, then compared each result to the average and highlighted if it was more than 2 standard deviations away from the average or not.
    I then totted these differences up by course.

I offered this to SLT with a request for a breakdown of their lesson observation judgements, so that they could quality control the observation process.

Surprisingly they were 'unable' to provide that information.

14. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

download-5.jpg

15. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

You can dispute but prepare for eternal damnation from SLT.

16. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

They are ridiculous, aren't they?

When I was HOD, my checklist was:

1. Are the books marked
    2. How well are they marked
    3. Are there a range of activities
    4. Do pupils mostly take pride in their work
    5. Do the lessons appear mostly well panned and well organised

Now, it's red purple and green pens, peer assessment (I loathe it, it is the bane of my life) self assessment (ditto) time to improve work which is fine in theory but in practice good teaching should be building on and improving anyway without returning to the exact same piece of work) and other silly things related to levels and grades which half the time are the impossible anyway.

I still think my checklist is better! But then I would say that.

17. Scintillant

LOL, I bet they love you.

Your approach is sensible though and would provide some decent evidence for them... no wonder they don't want to know. Probably wet themselves in a panic when you said "two standard deviations"

grumpydogwoman likes this.