1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you describe a lesson where the pupils have been in charge of their own learning?

Discussion in 'English' started by diamond_raindrops, Dec 7, 2011.

1. diamond_raindrops

diamond_raindrops New commenter

Good afternoon fellow English TESrs,
    I have had a really good day of teaching today and feel spurned on to make my lessons more pupil led. After being on Mat leave it really has taken me a while to get my mojo back. Now that it's here, I would love to hear of lessons you have had where pupils have pretty much taken ownership and you have had to twiddle your thumbs because ALL pupils were on task and were able to support/lead each other.
    My example is based on an evidence finding exercise as part of my CSI scheme. Pupils had to match the fingerprints to those discovered at the crime scene before helping the pupil with the lowest S&L level in that group to prepare a presentation on their findings. It was amazing and was lovely to hear comments like- "get back on task", "If I show you first, then you will get a better idea of how to say it..." and "we need to make sure **** is supported by us, they need more confidence and we can help".
    So, any examples at all would be great with the lesson you did.
    Thankyou.
    DRs XX

2. diamond_raindrops

Good afternoon fellow English TESrs,
    I have had a really good day of teaching today and feel spurned on to make my lessons more pupil led. After being on Mat leave it really has taken me a while to get my mojo back. Now that it's here, I would love to hear of lessons you have had where pupils have pretty much taken ownership and you have had to twiddle your thumbs because ALL pupils were on task and were able to support/lead each other.
    My example is based on an evidence finding exercise as part of my CSI scheme. Pupils had to match the fingerprints to those discovered at the crime scene before helping the pupil with the lowest S&L level in that group to prepare a presentation on their findings. It was amazing and was lovely to hear comments like- "get back on task", "If I show you first, then you will get a better idea of how to say it..." and "we need to make sure **** is supported by us, they need more confidence and we can help".
    So, any examples at all would be great with the lesson you did.
    Thankyou.
    DRs XX

3. Spassky

Spassky New commenter

Identifying success criteria themselves from models rather than having them dictated. Doing peer/ self assessment against these criteria themselves in plenaries/ miniplenaries/ meta-mini-interplenary-plenaries.

4. diamond_raindrops

What are these? [​IMG]

5. Reading up on Russain Psychologist Lev Vygotsky explains why such lessons work so well.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lev_Vygotsky - "Theory of Proximal Learning". The teacher's job is then that of "scaffolding" this "flickering flame in the wind."
    I teach music this way by involving even raw beginners in a school 'mini orchestra'. They learn quicker from their neighbours than in individual instrument tuition. See 'El Sistema - Venezuela' http://www.el-sistema-film.com/
    Trailer: http://www.el-sistema-film.com/el_Sistema_Trailer_en.html
    Regards