1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you cook a joint of silverside in a slow cooker?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by notmeanymore, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Just that really. And what should I add? Thanks for any help.

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

YES!!!!! Silverside will cook beautifully in the slowcooker!
    I'm going to assume your cooker is big eniugh to take the joint and still have the lid on! Other than that it is simplicity itself!
    You want some veggies at the bottom of the cooker...onions are always good...just peel them and cut into 1/4s or 1/8s....scrub a carrot or two, cut into chunks and add...a stick of celery in chunks if you like it...whatever you feel like adding (this is all going to flavour the liquid for you gravy.)
    Now place the silverside on top.
    Finally you want your liquid...about 2 pints in total (assuming you are going for a sort of 'feeds 4' type joint.....basically you want to almost cover the joint...)....the liquid can be stock (from a cube, or one of those gel things, or even a carton of stock) - go for beef or veg of course!....or you can swap some of the liquid for alcohol...red wine maybe?...beer goes well with beef, but wouldn't be my forst choice for silverside - but it's up to you.....
    I like to add a really BIG splodge of grainy mustard to the stock...some people like ketchup...silverside can take a little sweetness, I've known people add brown sugar and honey!
    pour the liquid over the beef ....maybe add a bayleaf or two.
    Lid on the cooker, plug in, and switch on! Cook for at least 6 hours - give it longer if you can. As always, try not to lift the lid for sneaky peaks!
    It should fall apaert quite easily when done...I'd serve with plenty of buttery mash, a couple of green veggies and lashings of gravy made from your stock in the cooker.

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Bethannie, after reading your post I am positively salivating!

needabreak likes this.
  4. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

It tastes as good as it sounds Belle!
    And it is honestly that easy too....and so impressive! Even really novice cooks manage to get people making 'yummy' noises. ....who says cooking has to be difficult?
    (The other slow-cooked meal that gets extra Brownie points every time is 'my' slow cooked lamb shanks....very similar to the silverside recipe....less liquid...and I use part stock and part port and add a big blob of redcurrant jam!)