1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Can you claim tax credits while on supply?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by bella1981, Mar 8, 2016.

1. bella1981

bella1981 New commenter

I'm a single mum with 2 children and will be starting supply after Easter. After talking to my local agencies I'm hoping to average 16 hours a week over a term. I know this might mean working full time some weeks and getting no supply others.
    My problem is I'm not sure if I will still be able to claim tax credits or how this works. I've rang the advice line and they were useless.
    Does anyone know how tax credits work while on supply? What happen over summer when no work?

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

You might find it helpfulnto contact the Citizens Advice Bureau since it has staff who have extensive knowledge of the benefits and tax systems and they may be able to guide you through what is probably a complex system made more complex by the nature of supply being not fixed hours.

3. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

I did claim working tax credit a few years ago whilst on supply; I think that the total income I received was seen as more important than the number of hours worked. There is nothing wrong with completing the form (complicated though it is!).

Be aware, however, that if you later go on to be in a position where you can't claim tax credits you may be liable to repayments.